Peripherals forum

General discussion

Ink-saving font?

I just read about an interesting font, called "Ecofont." It supposedly saves 20% of the typical ink used by a laser printer. The site is here: http://www.ecofont.eu/look_at_ecofont_en.html

Anyways, I'm wondering about this claim. It is made on the basis that the letters in this font have small white circles throughout the letters, which is plainly visible if you print it in a large font size; and barely so at 12 point font.

My question--will this in fact save ink? I have looked at the Draft mode within MS Word, but that hardly is any different from the normal mode. My laser printer (HP 1018) has an "economode" setting which obviuosly uses less ink, but is a bit of an eyesore. I hand out a lot of material that is hard to comprehend and I can't afford folks to be put off by a hard-to-read printout.

This appears to be the only real option I have to save ink, but I'm wondering--will this in fact save any ink? Or is the mechanics of laser printing such that it really won't save anything? If not, I'd rather not even bother with changing fonts from Times New Roman to this and then back again.

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ink-saving font?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ink-saving font?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see it suffers just like this image.

In reply to: Ink-saving font?

http://falcon.jmu.edu/~johns2ja/illusion/onlywhitecirclesatintersections.gif

I think it's a great idea but needs work to avoid the optical illusion and visual issues.
Bob
Collapse -
Hmmm...not too clear there....

In reply to: I see it suffers just like this image.

Let me guess...you installed the font but didn't like what you saw? It looks pretty crummy on a word processor but it prints out just fine.

Or was this your way of saying that this claim of saving 20% is just an illusion?

Collapse -
Let me put it this way.

In reply to: Hmmm...not too clear there....

It may work. But I'm not going to test it. The method is as old as the printing press so let's not think this is a new idea. I see the optical illusion issue and dug up a picture to show the issue.

What I am saying is the font needs work. But the premise is sound.
Bob

Collapse -
This guy seems to have gone to great effort to test it...

In reply to: Let me put it this way.

See this link. He says that any ink savings depends on what font you typically print with. He calculates (by comparing pixels to dots of ink on a paper) that serif fonts (Times New Roman is the most common serif font) actually consume a lot less ink than this font, though. However, compared to some sans serif fonts, you can save 20%--but again, the savings depend on what font you use.

http://farlukar.110mb.com/stuff.php#ecofont

Collapse -
Software that "turn" all fonts to eco-fonts.

EcoFont is a step in the right direction. Not only ink is expensive, the printers do a great job spending it!

I recently found a software utility, PretonSaver Home, that "turns" every font to eco-font. It reduces ink consumption by up to 70% and provides excellent print quality.

I did not have to change the fonts I use or change the way I print. PretonSaver works in the background and very smartly optimizes the ink/toner used by my printers.

Try it for free. Download PretonSaver from halftheink.com (http://www.halftheink.com)

Collapse -
Density of print -bit map

Eco-fonts or control of inkjets isn't new, but the principal is sound. The basis of using ink in the 100% use of the nozzles will produce ink overrun(excess) which in turn makes for a solid printed output. What is typical of so-called ink control is the non-firing of adjacent ink nozzles causing less ink usage and the "ink overrun" will still cover the missed spaces and for most fonts being used appear OK or at least for plain text offer reasonable results. Alot depends on the font being used, the paper, and printer printhead in general. If a printhead has say, 50 ink nozzles will show better results than one with 40. The paper itself due to "ink sop" or ink absorbing quality. As for the font itself, they lend a pattern for output to be done and if less dense, on its own merits becomes less effective is even more non-print pattern is followed. Savvy???

To answer your question, yeah they do work. But, to what degree is up to the ink control(driver) being used. The eco-font in question is just proving a print pattern(bit map) that is using less ink nozzles to create that font.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Just laser printer do you have?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.