General discussion

Ink pricing for inkjets

I re-read an article of 2008 vintage that stated that ink prices were at $8000/gal.. Without the math that's better or close to what the price of gold is or revals it. I'm sure everyone here knows they practically give the printer away just to get it on the backend, with ink cart buys later. if you think about it, the materials to go into making ink carts just isn't rocket science and really is common stuff. The electronics on the carts while meant to produce ink "jets", more effort in the chips to defeat refills is common. All-in-all, its practically a "conspiracy" to have pricing so high and/or remain so for so long. Why, since all ink makers do this and there hasn't been a price reduction of any great significance that I can recall. What do you think? -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Ink pricing for inkjets
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Ink pricing for inkjets
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It's like glucose meters

I have a lot of meters that I didn't pay a nickel for but the strips are about a dollar apiece.

Diana

- Collapse -
Medical supplies

Don't you just love those ads offering that it won't cost you a thing if you jump on their offer for whatever. BUT! I guarantee you they'll stick it to someone, whether it being an ins. co. or the govt. offered health care or similar being state or federal. Surprise, surprise s/h costs maybe passed on to you, regardless. -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
In this month;s issue

........ if Consumer Reports they wrote about printer inks. That seems to be an area in which price can make a difference. In rating printers, they have also commented that different brands make either a better or a worse use of the ink supply.

I watch for the "2 for 1" sales. The ink is fresh enough that it does not dry out when I use that 2nd one, even though I don't print out as much as most people.

To be honest, I would rather pay more for that ink than for the printer which now performs more tasks, and better, than to have more expensive priners and cheaper ink.

Angeline

- Collapse -
Kodak vs HP

Just read an article the HP is contesting with the FTC about Kodak claims of ink savings. Kodak tries to offer the cheaper cost and uses less, yada, yada. The FTC made Kodak reword thier claims of cost savings per usage at 4pgs. per day or similar. HP is is still ticked that basically, it really offers nothing to change the way Kodak makes the claim though its more up front. HP is protecting its turf against less costly ink buys for Kodak vs HP. Meaning Kodak is cheaper to operate and produces good results as well. I would be peeved too if I were HP. -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
dyes vs pigments

the arguments will continue.

CNET Forums

Forum Info