General discussion

Ink Cartridges....Refill vs Remanufacrured vs New Vs ??

Okay All of you Experts (And that is meant in THE NICEST way!!)
Need your grizzled opinions 'bout ink on the paper and the favored way to get it....
Granted, we know that printers are cheaply made and the manufacturers make the money WAY back on the "Carts" (Gee, any wonder why they will VOID the warranty if you don't buy there products??)
Soooo, I cast my queries out to, and would like your experiences... GOOD and ;-{{ Bad...
I've a HP Photosmart 1100, and a Xerox Workcenter XK50c that's jammed.....
Currently I'm using the HP

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Ink Cartridges....Refill vs Remanufacrured vs New Vs ??
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Ink Cartridges....Refill vs Remanufacrured vs New Vs ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Wellllllll....

HP printers work better with HP cartridges. Same for any other maker of printers and their cartridges. And the quality is usually better.

Hp printers work better with HP cartridges with HP Paper. They all match for a reason.

Go for new...I always do..except laser.

and life goes on...

Jack

- Collapse -
Buy HP.....

To a degree I would agree...., what I forgot to state was the qulaity factor.
When you suggest (Quite Correctly) to us HP ink & Paper, I would agrtee if I was printing Photos for dispaly, etc.
But what about just general , don't wanna write it down, wanna come back later, compare etc. hardcopy???
High end paper and are EXPENSIVE and yets you get what you pay for, but do I need need all that Flash, for everyday???
Please, don't feel I'm discounting your suggestion, I totally agree, within the the standards stated.
Thanks again

- Collapse -
Wellllll. . . .

Hope I'm not too late (or off-topic), but Jack wrote, "Go for new . . . except laser," and I use a laser (black-and-white) printer, an old one. Did you mean, Jack, that getting an off-brand laser cartridge from a place like Rhinotek is OK? I have an HP printer, which is long, long out of warranty and for which the cartridges are very expensive--though nothing like as expensive, per page, as inkjet--and not that easy to find.

It takes a long time to run through a cartridge, of course, and by the time I need another one, my old war horse may have died. I just wondered, though. And if you think that off-brand laser cartridges are OK, do you have any recommendations?

My two cents on color refills (my mother has an inkject, and so do others in my family) is that those may be of lesser quality (for color accuracy) than name brand ones. If you like the colors you get from your original color cartridge, I think it's best to get another one just like it. On the other hand, you can try a different kind and see how it suits you. It could be a very individual matter.

Thanks in advance for any help on the laser cartridge question.

Jenny

- Collapse -
Ink Cartridges.......................

I have been using refill kits from CarrotInk for three years now and have had excellent results. My printer is
a Lexmark 5150. I recently ordered and installed new cartridges because the old ones were worn out from being inserted and removed for three years. I get about four
refills per kit so it's really the least expensive way to go, although it can get messy if you are not careful!!

- Collapse -
MESSY??

I can make a mess sharpening a pencil... LOL!!
But thanks for the feedback and will check out the vendor mentioned

- Collapse -
Ink Cartridges

What are the Lexmark cartridge numbers that your printer uses?
Thank you, Larry

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 82 & 83
- Collapse -
How do you do that exactly

I have tried many times to refill my catridges and end up spilling the ink, breaking the cartridge trying to get the top off and when i finally get some ink into it, It never fully fills the cartridge!! Very frustrating!

- Collapse -
How do you do that.....................?

I don't know! Just be careful & take your time. I use a thick stack of old papers under the cartridge. The kits come with a jig to put the cartridge in, so it's not very tippy. If I overfill the cartridge (fill VERY SLOWLY!!!)
I use the syringe to take a little out or blot it into a paper towel. I also wear rubber gloves (but no mask).
Follow the instructions like you were assembling an atomic bomb! You only have to remove the cover from one of the Lexmark cartridges and it doesn't slop all over--its in foam. The other one you get a little auger with the kit and make a small hole in the top. After filling you need to pull about .5 cc out the bottom with the syringe. I also blot and wipe the nozzle area and the printed circuit (carefully!) before re-inserting.
It seems to work for me. $15 or so for the kit and I get three or four refills. Beats $35 for a new one!

- Collapse -
P.S. from L'il Abner

Maybe I just got lucky right off the bat. The kits I get are from CarrotInk.com and maybe they are better than some others. I have only used CarrotInk's refills 8-)

- Collapse -
How do you do that?

How do you get the top off a Lexmark cartrige? helllllllllp?!

pantherbabe

- Collapse -
top off color, not black

I take my pocket knife, for a stiff edge, and start at corners, trying to get into the crack between color top and black case, seesaw back and forth, as knife gradually works into the corner. After partially in, work on the other corner, then go back to the 1st one. Finally the lid will start cracking open. Work down one side, then the other. Then work on the corners of the back side. The lid must fit firmly back on, I tape it, to snap back into printer.

- Collapse -
Getting the top off a Lexmark cartridge.

My printer uses #16 black, & #26 color. The black one I use the small drill provided with the kit. The color one I use a razor blade and very carefully separate the top from the body of the cartridge. After re-filling I re-attach the top with small pieces of masking tape. On the next refill, loosen one side, swing the top back, refill, and tape the top back.
Hope this helps.
Larry

- Collapse -
ink refill

Hi ,
And tyvm for your response ,ok now where di i get a refill kit for lexmax and i dont see any little holes to drill *LOL*

Kat H

- Collapse -
Refill Lexmark cartridges

The black cartridge has a small indentation on the top. This is where you would drill through the top down to the sponge, and you would fill the cartridge through this hole. Reseal the hole with a small piece of tape. The color cartridge must have the top separated from the bottom, (because it requires three different colors), which is done carefully with a razor blade.Tape the top back with two small pieces of tape.
I bought my kit at Costco, but I'm sure there are many stores that supply refill kits.

- Collapse -
Refill

TYVM for information.

Kathy H.

- Collapse -
A big help

I WANT TO THANK ALL HOW PUT THE INFORMATION FOR MY QUESTION.
TYVM AND GOD BLESS

PANTHERBABE

- Collapse -
My Ink never seems to work

Whenever I try to refill it, it just keeps overflowing when I squeeze the refill tube. Then when I reinsert the cartridge into the computer, the computer still tells me the printer has low ink. Anyone have any techniques to actually get the ink in the catridge and get it to stay?

By the way, the info so far has been great, thanks everyone!

- Collapse -
refill lexmark X85 cartridges

Hello, I have a Lexmark X85 printer which uses color # 15MO120 and black 12A1970 , I tried to refill and no success. How do you do these and where can buy a refill kit. My email is resch@dejazzd.com

- Collapse -
DO NOT TAKE THE TOP OFF!!!

The cartridge is not refilled by taking the top off. Most refill kits come with a hand driven drill bit to drill a small hole on the top portion of the cartridge. The syringe is inserted through this small opening to refill the chamber with additional ink. After refilling the openings should be sealed either with an adhesive label, smallest possible size, or you can use a tiny piece of thick stock paper (matchbook cover) with a small dab of glue from a glue gun to seal the hole making it air tight.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) top needed off for color...
- Collapse -
NYCBOY0156-Removing top of cartridge

Your instructions are absolutely correct for the black Lexmark cartridges, but for the color cartridge the colored top must be separated from the black bottom. Hopes this helps.
Larry

- Collapse -
Refilling cartriges for years

To whom it may concern.
Lexmark Z32 and Cannon i 470D

I've been refilling my ink cartriges for years. After infinite toil and trouble and mess I now have it down.
Get:
1.Ink refill kit-including syringe
2.Windex window cleaner
3.Clear plastic flex tube- about 1/8"ID and 1/4"ID- Hardware store- get about 18" of each
Do:
1.Drill very small hole in top of each cartrige. If 3 colors in one- a hole in each. Label holes their color.
2. To refill- leave cartrige in carriage and inject proper color ink into spongy material of cartrige.
3. If clogged jets (often after they go dry)- Take out cartrige and cartrige carrier. Suck up about 4" of windex into tube (careful, don't suck too much).
Press end of tube over jet intake in bottom of carrier where ink cartrige bottom pad goes. Blow/force the windex through the jets- have a bowl under carrier.
After you have done this to offending jets, put it all back together and do some printing using the clogged color. It should print like new, if not....do it all over again.
The clear tubes you buy at hardware need to fit tightly over jet intake of carrier so windex will be forced through jets, so get the right diameter of tube at hardware for your particular printer.
Have fun and remember to blow, not suck.

- Collapse -
refilling LexMarks x2250 catriges

Hello,
I need to know how to fill the cartriges for a Lexmark x2250? I need my printer arghhhhhh1

Kathy H.

- Collapse -
Refilling Lex X2250..........

I've only done the Lex X5150. I assume they are all about the same. If you can bake a cake, you can do this!!

- Collapse -
Depends...

I've used both Epsons and HPs...A couple of my old, inexepensive HP deskjest were able to use remanufactured/offbrand cartridges just fine..The later ones didn't work well at all with anything but new HP ink cartridges..The Epsons, especially my current 3-in-one won't function worth a darn unless the new Epson cartridges are used..

At our agency, we ONLY use the new brand name stuff. We can't afford a malfunction or a botched document.

So, at this point, I stink with the real thing..IN your case, the only way to know it to test the one you have..Either way, it will cost some money.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Gotta love this
" I stink with the real thing"

Oops!! Can MODs edit their own bloopers.Happy
- Collapse -
Good One! LOL...Think I'll Leave It...

...just for fun...I've always been a great speller, I just can'type very well.

I "STICK" with the real thing.

ROFL

Grif

- Collapse -
Ouch!!

Nuff Said

- Collapse -
Thank you

for a great laugh .. needed that today Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info