Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

INI:shortcut-inf virus detection

by raduzhok / December 18, 2011 5:46 AM PST

I did a scan today after two days of having problems of loading WINDOWS... I know from a previous time with INI specific 'infections' that Avast deleted it, and then I was locked out completely and had to bring my DT in and have a new 'ini' installed.

Two fold question: IS this an actual infection or a false positive? (How do I find out where this specific infected file is located in my avast program results - it isn't giving me that info.

2nd part, if I move this to the virus chest as is advised by Avast, will I be locked out again, and have to bring my computer back in to have it re-installed?

Any advice and help is appreciated.

raduzhok has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: INI:shortcut-inf virus detection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: INI:shortcut-inf virus detection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by raduzhok

Collapse -
Tried Scanning With A Different Tool?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 11:16 AM PST

First, you've not given us the exact file name, nor the location of the infected INI/shortcut... Next, YES, if the file is important, it could cause the computer to cease opening Windows correctly.. Yes, it could be a false positive but you'll want to send a copy of the file to Avast per their instructions.

But before doing so, have you tried scanning with a separate scanner to get a "second opinion"? If not, please try the ESET online scanner using the link below.

Clicking on the link below will immediately open the download dialogue window. Download the Smart Installer to your desktop and run it. It will install a small tool to allow the online scan to run.

ESET Online Scanner

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: INI:shortcut-inf further info
by raduzhok / December 18, 2011 12:36 PM PST

The name of the fire is INI:Shortcut-inf [Trj], and it was located in 'favorites' folder, the name of the file is Avast Anti-virus Software and Internet Security - Free download.url.

I looked in my folder and found only one Avast item in the folder. I did not choose to move to chest, or take any action until I got further information because of the last time this showed up as an infection, though I did 'delete' the Avast item from my favorites folder... and now I'm not sure if that means it went into my recycle bin or is no longer accessible? Currently, I am leaving my system on, so I won't un into possibly having destroyed the one file I need to access WIndows. It was a 'shortcut' which I hope means that the original INI file is still located in its proper place.

I'll be doing a scan at the online site you've recommended. Question: is the online scanner a 'save to' app, or can I just 'run' it?

Thank you.

Collapse -
I See You Ran Housecall
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 19, 2011 1:14 AM PST

Apparently, it found nothing of real consequence. In regards to the ESET download, you'll need to save the file to your desktop, then run it.. After it's run, the online scan begins. It's looking like your problem is a false positive but it would still be a good idea to run the ESET scanner.

Now that you've identified the shortcut as the Avast shortcut from your "Favorites" folder, it appears to be a shortcut which allows you to access the Avast website.. Deleting it shouldn't cause any issues.. It's a "Favorite" and adding, or deleting is of no importance to the operating system.

Deleting anything generally takes it to the Recycle Bin unless you instruct it not to.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
The downloader problem
by raduzhok / December 19, 2011 8:28 AM PST

Thank you, Grif, for your help. I will be running the ESET tonight. I'm glad that the 'shortcut' was actually to Avast, but why would it be identifed by Avast as INI:shortcut-inf?

What is the Java_DLOADR.WTO infection that Trend found? Is it okay to delete? The reason why I asked if the Favorites deletion for the Avast item went to the recycle is because I didn't find it in the bin when I looked for it. I don't have my deletions directed to anywhere other than what WINDOWS default is.

I'll let you know the results of the ESET.

Rad

Collapse -
The Java Detection...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 19, 2011 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: The downloader problem

...is most likely a Java cache file which is safe to delete.. You can prevent such Java detections in the future by disabling the ability of Java to save such things to your computer. Open the Control Panel, then the "Java" icon, then the "General" tab. Once there, click on the "Settings' button in the "Temporary Internet Files" section and UNCHECK the box next to "Keep temporary files on my computer".

And Yes, deleting "Favorites" will sometimes simply go away.

Let us know how the ESET scan goes.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.