Samsung forum

General discussion

InfoLink LN46a650 / Linksys wrt54g wireless G Router

by lcapal01 / January 15, 2009 10:40 AM PST

I have the above router hooked up to my PC (which is in a room close to the TV),
Question:1 - do I have to use the Samsung Stick or can I purchase another wireless LAN adaptor that will work.
Question 2: I inserted a wireless LAN into the TV and did a manual setting with the Router Status internet IP addres, the internet subnet mask, and the internet default gateway number form the network settings page I printed from my router page info sheet.I also entered the DNS 1 tahat was listed on that same page . When I went to to the check network on the tv, i received an error message:: Cannot connect to the gateway Check network cable correctly connected and verify current gateway DNS on network. What am I doing wrong?
Question 3: With the hookup the way I desribed above, is this considered a wireless connection or a wired connection (Router is wired to the PC and the wireless adaptor is connected to the TV.
If it is wireless - I can't get into that function in settings - it is greyed out.
I am obviously not that computer literate asnd need help. The gateway a, mask and internet IP address checked out ok, so what is wrong.
Please answer all three questions and I will be forever grateful.
Lcapal01

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: InfoLink LN46a650 / Linksys wrt54g wireless G Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: InfoLink LN46a650 / Linksys wrt54g wireless G Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i have same models
by RTShaw / January 16, 2009 3:51 PM PST

lost most control of my fingers & eyes water/spasm 24/7,so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type.

i have the 32 inch & 52 inch models(ln32A650, ln52a650).. mine works finee,on the router if u have encrpition on (IE: wep) you hasve2 insert the \key into the tv's wireless setup. also if u have a wireless card access list and its on u have 2 add the MAC address of the stick 2 the list. u can find it by looking atthe router attached devices list(easy way 4 me).
what i did was shut off encription until i setup the wireless connection then rurn it back on after i verfied it worked it also helped 2 yturn on SSID broadcast on the router of course thattoo i turned off after verifying everything was kosker..
but my 1st samsung sick failed after a dy or less so i had the connection hardwirded unde the house (about 160 buxs 2 wire 3 rooms with cat6 (1gigbit network ) all to my comuter rooms router.

please escuse the mstakes eyes pretty watery

Collapse -
Good advice.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2009 4:08 PM PST
In reply to: i have same models

RTShaw,

Good to see you. Thanks for helping out! Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
U R welcome
by RTShaw / January 19, 2009 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: Good advice.

welcome... i'm here when able redy 2 help if i can

Collapse -
LinkStick Recommended
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2009 4:07 PM PST

Lcapal01,

The LinkStick is recommended because we know the internals on the stick, they have some preprogrammed information in the chips, and it allows us to diagnose any issues that may come up with consistent information in our service center.

If you use a different wireless device, we can't offer support for those units (although, some of the forum's networking experts always seem find a way to make it work).

It's greyed out because it doesn't recognize the wireless device as a wireless device. The LinkSticks come with the approved specs built in.

I hope that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Not available / Samsung WIS08BG2X
by CarlC / January 16, 2009 8:13 PM PST
In reply to: LinkStick Recommended

CNET
Our apologies Sorry! The Samsung LinkStick USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Adapter is not currently available from any of our online merchants.
Sign up to be notified as soon as it is available from one of our merchants. NOTIFY ME E-mail me as soon as the Samsung LinkStick USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Adapter is available from one of our merchants.
Thank you Thank you for you interest in the Samsung LinkStick USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Adapter.Your request has been submitted. We will notify you as soon as this product is available.

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 18, 2009 5:10 AM PST

Yikes. I didn't realize!

I'll look into this and see what I can do.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Wiress LAN Stick
by lcapal01 / January 18, 2009 5:27 AM PST

CNET
Our apologies Sorry! The Samsung LinkStick USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Adapter is not currently available from any of our online merchants.
Sign up to be notified as soon as it is available from one of our merchants. NOTIFY ME E-mail me as soon as the Samsung LinkStick USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Adapter is available from one of our merchants.
Thank you Thank you for you interest in the Samsung LinkStick USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Adapter.Your request has been submitted. We will notify you as soon as this product is available.

Did you enroll me for notification when it comes in? I find it hard to believe that this is not available from anywhere. How could Samsunbg mess up like this? This is like the cabbage patch kids from years ago. I bought the a650 tv purposedly for the wireless capabilities whihc was not available on the 550 model. I wound up spending 300 more for this set just for that reason and now I can';t get the stick. I really have a problem with this.

Collapse -
Enroll...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2009 10:52 AM PST

lcapal01,

It may be out temporarily, just like any other consumer product on the market. I'm looking to see what we can do for you in the meantime.

I don't have your personal information (I don't even have "moderator status", to be perfectly honest), nor can I sign anyone up for notifications.

I'll find out and get back to you ASAP.

--HDTech

Collapse -
INFO LINK WIRELESS LAN
by lcapal01 / January 19, 2009 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Enroll...

What type of information do you need> I am new to this forum and if there is naything you can do for me, I will give yiou whatever you need, Just email me regarding what you need from me in order to get this piece .
Thanks
Loretta

Collapse -
Info
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 20, 2009 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: INFO LINK WIRELESS LAN
Collapse -
the stick
by lcapal01 / January 20, 2009 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Info

this is getting a little ridilulous. am i the one that should be enrolling for the notification? or did you do thast as noted in sdome of these threads. just let me know YES you newed to do this yourslef or No, I already enrolled you.
Thank you.

Collapse -
Notifications...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 20, 2009 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: the stick

I apologize.

No, I don't have any information on you, and I don't have moderator status. And C|Net discourages giving out personal information.

So signing up for that notification is something you have to do for yourself. Did you check that link on Samsungparts.com for the Linkstick? Is that where you got the notification where they were out of inventory?

We also have a parts department at 800-SAMSUNG.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you for clearing that up
by lcapal01 / January 20, 2009 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Notifications...

thanks for clearing that up. That is where I got the notfication that there was a nationwide back order for the part.
I will enroll for the notification, however I have also posted the issues I ma having with the non samsung stick. Can youplease read the orginal request I had regarding using a non samsung stick and the router information that I enetered on my TV screen and the message I was receving as well and let me know if there if anything I can do about that.
thank you.

Collapse -
Can only support Linkstick
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 20, 2009 11:22 AM PST

I'm sorry, but due to the incredible amount of wireless products on the market that could (physically) fit, I have no way of knowing which products will or won't work. I've found that while many people have tried to use different wireless USB network drives, none of them work satisfactorily. I can ONLY offer support for the LinkStick on this site.

I really, really apologize for the inconvenience. Let me see what I can do in the meantime... Stay tuned.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I am still waiting
by lcapal01 / January 31, 2009 8:15 AM PST

On Janaury 20 you stated for the third time you would see what you could do....I have heard nothing and tonight is the 31st. Can you please help me out here.

Collapse -
Still in need?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 5, 2009 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: I am still waiting

lcapal01,

Thank you for for your patience. I have been working diligently for a solution and have procured a very limited number of LinkSticks for our forum users. I may even have one or two to give away every month. Until that arrives, I have one for you that I was able to get from our marketing department.

Please, <b>lcapal01</b>,if you would, send your shipping address to samsunghdtech@gmail.com along with the model number and serial number of your television.

Abuses of this email from other forum members is discouraged, and I will not respond to other inquiries there, no exceptions.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Sansung Link Stick - I weill keep my fingers cross and send
by lcapal01 / February 5, 2009 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: I am still waiting

lcapal01,

Thank you for for your patience. I have been working diligently for a solution and have procured a very limited number of LinkSticks for our forum users. I may even have one or two to give away every month. Until that arrives, I have one for you that I was able to get from our marketing department.

Please, lcapal01,if you would, send your shipping address to samsunghdtech@gmail.com along with the model number and serial number of your television.

Abuses of this email from other forum members is discouraged, and I will not respond to other inquiries there, no exceptions.

--HDTech

I will email that information immedately. Please let me know if yuou will send that to me? I would be forever grateful as I am at wits end.

Collapse -
Same problem with connecting to wireless router
by angelique030 / February 17, 2010 10:37 AM PST

I read your post and I am not quite computer savvy, however I am having the same problems as you and I wondered how you got a tech to help you online? or what info he passed along to you? about wireless connections to the tv? thanks angelique

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.