PC Applications forum

General discussion

Info on a program/OS called Geoworks A.K.A Geoworks Pro

by acoxon1274 / November 10, 2006 10:21 PM PST

I'm looking for info on Geoworks. I have found 46,000 results on Google but I want to make sure I'm not braking up the wrong tree. Is there only one program called Geoworks or I'm confusing it with another program? I have a Packard Bell computer from the 1990s that had/has what I thought was a kind of OS software called Geoworks. The last time I had the computer on Geoworks acted a lot like Windows 3.0. The Packard Bell's OS was a version of DOS with a auto load of Windows 3.0. I have been asked to see if I can restore this program to operation, it won't run on a newer computer. I would like help to confirm that I'm actually looking a t the right software, so am I confused or am I working on the right software (info on a program called Geoworks Pro A.K.A. Geoworks)?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Info on a program/OS called Geoworks A.K.A Geoworks Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Info on a program/OS called Geoworks A.K.A Geoworks Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From memory it predates Windoiws 3.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2006 11:14 PM PST

And was easy to install from about 2 five and one quarter floppy discs. If you've lost the diskettes then it's pretty much game over.

Around the same time we had TOS and GEM ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_TOS )

Here's the GeoWorks wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoWorks

Notice there were no less than 4 major versions.

While interesting from a historical perspective, if you've lost the diskettes or don't have the hardware it ran on, then it's just a memory.

Bob

Collapse -
THX, your memory agrees with the program on the old computer
by acoxon1274 / November 11, 2006 3:43 AM PST

and the links you provided concur with the below title menu displayed

?Appliance Professional DOS C?
?Geoworks Ensemble?
?Version 1.0 Copyright GeoWorks 1990?

On this 20 year old Packard Bell computer the Geoworks Program still seems to work. At startup of program it calls for a 16 digit install code which leads me to believe it was never fully/properly installed. I copied what was on the HDD to two floppies. It shows a setup file, maybe it will install from that. I will turn the floppies over to interested party who indicates they have original install disks but believe the original install disks to be degraded over time becuase it won?t run on a computer with Windows 98. From what I have read in your reply post and from a post from New Deal site I think the problem is too old a program trying to be run on too new a computer. Thanks again for your reply.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.