TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Infinity TSS 1200 as surround speakers for home theater???

by BigJoe1220 / December 27, 2009 12:47 AM PST

We are building a new home theater in our basement. The room is about 350 - 400 square feet. (about 20x20) Our budget is about $1000. We are putting a 7.1 channel system in. We will not be listening to music. I was going to get Infinity TSS-1200 (125W, 89dB, 120-30k) for the surround and get a pair of Infinity Primus P252 (150 W, 92dB, 49-20k) floorstanding speakers for the front. Is the sound going to mesh well? Will the floorstanding speakers drown out the center channel? Will this be enough to fill the room with sound? Is this overkill? What will be the difference if I get two extra matching satellite speakers instead of the floorstanding? I put in a link to the full specs (as listed on Crutchfield) for each speaker system.

Specs for TSS-1200:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108TSS12HC/Infinity-TSS-1200-Charcoal.html?tp=184&tab=features_and_specs

Specs for Primus P252:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P252BG/Infinity-Primus-P252-Black-grille.html?tp=185&tab=features_and_specs

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Infinity TSS 1200 as surround speakers for home theater???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Infinity TSS 1200 as surround speakers for home theater???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you are
by samkh / December 27, 2009 1:05 AM PST

starting from scratch, why not in-wall/ceiling speakers to enhance looks? Costs and sounds about same. For HT, spend money for a good sub and room absorption materials.

Collapse -
ok
by BigJoe1220 / December 27, 2009 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Since you are

i was going to recess the floorstanding speakers into the wall for looks. the room is already built with sound absorption so thats already taken care of. i got the same piece of advice about getting a good sub from someone else, thats why i was going to get floorstanding speakers to help the bass, then upgrade the sub later on. i was just wondering if the floorstanding speakers will overshadow the center speaker that they will be flanking.

Collapse -
Your receiver or amp
by samkh / December 27, 2009 12:28 PM PST
In reply to: ok

should be capable of adjusting the level to each speaker. Floorstanding are practically useless for bass, esp. in your room size. An 8" wall unit does just as well but it's your choice. Get a center same size/range as L/R. Try it w/o sub first but after test run I bet you'll want it sooner than later.

Collapse -
Thanks
by BigJoe1220 / December 28, 2009 1:16 PM PST
In reply to: Your receiver or amp

I kinda figured the receiver's auto-calibration and my adjustments would allow me to correct for the difference. But maybe I'll look into replacing the center speaker to match as well, I'll see how it all sounds and whta needs upgrading first. Thanks for help, it's really tough putting a half decent sound system in on only a $1000 budget, so any other opinions will help.

Collapse -
I taking your advice and changin it up a little
by BigJoe1220 / January 2, 2010 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Since you are

I'm gonna go with 4 TSS 1200 speakers for the surrounds (found them really cheap on ebay). For the fronts (L/R) the Primus P252 floorstanding speakers (which will get flush mounted to the wall), the Primus PC350 center speaker, and the PS212 subwoofer (400W compared to the 250 of the TSS 1200). Considering I will be paying about the same for this system as I would have originally, I think its a huge upgrade

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!