Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Infection stops malware removal programs from executing

by have_a_glitch / May 19, 2009 6:14 AM PDT

My daughters computer has been infected. When I tried to get rogers to update their symantec protection software they were unable. They suggested I try using malwarebytes anti-malware program to remove infections. After downloading I tried to execute program but nothing happens, like it's being stopped from executing. I tried to use Spybot search and destroy and the same thing the program wn't execute. Any suggestions

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Infection stops malware removal programs from executing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Infection stops malware removal programs from executing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the following.....

Please try the following routine to see if you can get Malwarebytes to run.

Click on Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc and click OK
On the View menu click on Show hidden devices
Browse to Non-Plug and Play Drivers and you should see something like TDSSserv.sys

Highlight that driver and right click on it and select DISABLE
Now RESTART your computer.

Download a copy of Malwarebytes but DO NOT run it yet.
Rename the downloaded installer file to any generic name such as your own name but keep the .EXE extension on the file and run it.
Once the program is installed go to the UPDATE tab and try to update the program if you can.
Then go to the SCANNER tab and run a Quick Scan and allow MBAM to fix anything found.

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder.

Collapse -
no driver by this name TDSSserv.sys
by have_a_glitch / May 19, 2009 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the following.....

I couldn't see anything like this to disable

Collapse -
o.k. then try renaming .........
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 19, 2009 7:37 AM PDT

Rename the downloaded installer file to any generic name such as your own name but keep the .EXE extension on the file and run it.

Don't forget to update the program.

Collapse -
Re: Infection stops malware removal programs from executing
by Tufenuf / May 19, 2009 7:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
I renamed the mbam.exe

I eventually got this program to work. It found 50 items to correct and a few were trojans. At the end it couldn't remove one trojan that was a "Trojan.Agent file in C\WINDOWS\System32\uacinit.dll

I then ran Spybot search and destroy and it found another 20 items to remove and 3 were classififed as malware.

I will go on google to see how I can get rid of this trojan because my computer seems to continually be running and I still can't load up the Rogers online protection software from Symantec.

Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!