Computer Help forum

General discussion

Infection after a system format?

by hidana / September 7, 2008 11:12 AM PDT

Here's what I did:
1) Reformatted my PC with the remove everything option (cable unplugged)
2) Installed and turned on Zone Alarm
3) Plugged in cable
4) Downloaded all Windows updates
5) Installed and Ran Spyware Doctor, and Spyware Doctor reported an infections:

Application.Keystroke Spy
A legitimate application. Under certain circumstances, however, some people may find it undesirable.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Broadband\Remove Desktop Dialer.lnk

Startup Program
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs, C:\Windows\unvise32.exe =1

Registry Value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs, C:\Windows\unvise32.exe

Is it possible that the above is a legitimate program? I really don't expect to see any infection after spending 4 hours on a system reformat. Many thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Infection after a system format?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Infection after a system format?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FP or False Positives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 11:53 PM PDT

Are possible. Your post neglected just one little detail so all I can offer is that this file didn't show up on a Full Microsoft Retail XP Home SP2 CD I used last week.

Collapse -
2nd opinion?
by Bob__B / September 8, 2008 12:02 AM PDT

Use goggle.

Collapse -
by valeve / September 8, 2008 1:24 AM PDT

I had this problem once. I formatted because I had a nasty virus which was hard to get rid. I found that I should have un-enabled systems restore prior to formatting. Once I did that, I got rid of the viruses for good.

I'm no expert but I hope this helps.

Valerie Fasig

Collapse -
Didn't have this before
by hidana / September 8, 2008 1:31 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I didn't have this virus before the reformat (I ran Spyware Doctor before reformat and after) so if it's a malware I must have caught it during/after the reformat, that's why I don't quite understand, and don't know what I could've done to avoid it. And, I am using Windows Vista.

Thank you again.

Collapse -
Are you sure
by Jimmy Greystone / September 8, 2008 1:59 AM PDT

Are you sure you actually formatted is the question that comes to my mind. All too many times I run across people who said they formatted, when all they really did was just install over top the old installation.

So, are you absolutely certain that the system was formatted? You actually witnessed it saying something to the effect of "Formatting drive" complete with a progress meter that went all the way to 100% before starting over at 0% to mark the progress of copying files? If not, then there's a good chance it's a leftover from before since you didn't actually format the system.

Collapse -
I am pretty sure...
by hidana / September 8, 2008 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you sure

Thanks Jimmy. I inserted the System Recovery Disk into my PC, selected the restore to out of box state, confirmed all the warnings that all my data would be deleted, and waited for 2 hours for the process... so I think this is a reformat, or else I have wasted 4 hours in total. BTW I am using Vista. Cheers.

Collapse -
"System Recovery Disk" = There it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2008 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I am pretty sure...

Your posts never followed the advice from the words in red which are "please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and" more.

Now that we know you didn't use a "retail" Microsoft OS CD/DVD this almost always some added software by the machine's maker. It's debatable if it's malware but feel free to delete if you feel like it.

Collapse -
by hidana / September 8, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

Didn't read the instructions.

It's a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, Vista Home, System Recovery CD from Manufacturer... I think that's pretty much it, in addition to the info I have posted before.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?