Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Infection?

by ankurq7 / October 25, 2008 6:48 PM PDT

Whenever I open a Windows Explorer like My computer,My Documents etc I get the following message from my anti-viurs (Kaspersky Internet security 7):

Privacy Control
Phishing attack:
This website is used for stealing credit card numbers,PIN-codes,passwords and other personal data.
Web-page address: http://megauplinkbindinstaller.com/cfg1.php
Should access be ALLOWED or DENIED?

It takes more than 10 sec just to open my computer.The above message appears after i click on any folder.Apart from this, i get a dialogue box with a red cross symbol (similar to what you get when there is an error in some process in windows),and there is an option of Yes or No but nothing else is written.
The worst part is that the windows explorer soon stops responding.It gets difficult for me to access files in my folders as it stops responding all the time.

I tried searching for viruses by running full system scan with my anti-virus.I also tried Windows Defender,Ad Aware and Malwarebytes but it doesnt show any infection with malware also.
Also there are no restore points where i could restore my system to.

Please help! Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Infection?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Infection?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Infection
by Carol~ Moderator / October 25, 2008 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Infection?

ankurq7..

I went to Kaspersky's Forum, and find there are other's who indicate the same problem. In addition to the English speaking forum, there are other's at one of their non-English speaking forum, who are also experiencing the same. The tools which show some success, aren't used here. But those forums which analyze HijackThis logs do.

You stated you scanned with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it didn't find anything. Did you scan in Safe Mode? I'm not saying it's a fix, but only wanted to know if you scanned with it and if it found anything at all.

Unless one of the moderators or members have other suggstions, mine would be to post a HijackThis log, to see if they can help you, as they have others. Another option would be to post your question at the Kaspersky Forum, where they're familiar with the problem. I'm really not sure they will be of help in the end, as most of the time they wind up sending user's to the HJT forums, anyway. But that's up to you and your choice to make.

In order to post a HijackThis log see the below thread. It will explain how to install it, and will also provide a list of forums which analyze the logs, and make use of other various tools. Unfortunatley, as stated above, we don't do it here.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=255339&messageID=2533167&tag=forums06;forum-threads

I wish you the best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
More unfortunate news for myself....
by ankurq7 / October 26, 2008 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Infection

Windows is not loading any more..I have tried all the recovery options available,including startup repair,memory diagnostic tool, starting in safe mode,resetting the RAM,etc but it just doesnt show anything after the Windows Vista is loading screen.Startup repair showed that my registry is corrupt.I dont get the option to start windows in safe mode anymore.
Is there any way to repair the registry from BIOS?
And how do I log into Windows in safe mode?
I need to back up my data in any way possible.I dont mind formatting my system if my data is backed up.

Please help!

Collapse -
Thanks for the link,but...
by ankurq7 / October 26, 2008 10:17 PM PDT

I get the initial loading screen of knoppix but while booting from cd i get the following message:

accessing knoppix cd at /dev/hda..insmod:cant read'/cdrom/knoppix/modules/kloop.ko':I/O error
cant find knoppix file system,sorry
dropping you to a (very limited) shell
press reset button to quit.

additional built in commands available:
cat mount unmount insmod rmmod lsmod

knoppix#

Now what should I do? Sad

Collapse -
Is that some PCMCIA CDROM drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2008 12:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
CNET is a life-saver!!!
by ankurq7 / October 27, 2008 11:36 PM PDT

I dont know what was the problem with knoppix,but i downloaded the live cd of ubuntu.Initially,it got stuck at the loading screen.I later took out one RAM stick(I had two of 2GB each) and reloaded ubuntu.It loaded fine.I was able to back-up all my data with zero data loss.I am still trying to see if there is any problem with my memory.But the important thing is that all my data is safe. Thanks CNET for helping me out. Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the report back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2008 11:42 PM PDT

Good luck on getting the machine back on its feet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?