General discussion

Infamous "Mode Not Supported"!

Feb 19, 2010 12:57PM PST

I've seen this topic a lot in these forums and in others. But I have yet to find a suitable resolution.

My devices:
LN52A650 Samsung 52" LCD
AV-R720 Samsung Receiver
BD1500 Samsung Blu-ray player
Motorola something or other PVR
PS3 Slim

My setup:
BD1500 (HDMI 1) and PS3 (HDMI 2) connected to AV-R720 via HDMI, which is connected to the LCD via HDMI into the HDMI 1 input.
The PVR is connected via Component to the LCD, and Optic cable to the receiver. The PVR is never an issue. As well, the blu-ray player is never an issue.

95% of the time, when I turn on the TV, and receiver, and PS3, the infamous "Mode Not supported" shows up. The rare times it doesn't, it seems like, is when the reciever is already 'warmed up' (having recently been set to the PS3 and working). When the message shows up, turning off the reciever and turning it back on always works. And more often than not, changing the TV input to something else, then back to HDMI works, but sometimes it doesn't.

The solution?

Setting the PS3 to a lower resolution is not a solution. A 1080p capable TV should be able to display video from a 1080p source, no questions. It's kind of a waste of money to buy full 1080p samsung system, nly to reduce all the output resolutions to 720p. The system is all connected with high quality Monster HDMI cables.

Has anyone come up with a solution yet?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Infamous "Mode Not Supported"!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Infamous "Mode Not Supported"!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Bump.
Feb 28, 2010 1:34PM PST

Help please?

- Collapse -
Samsung LN46A650 and PS3 getting 'Mode Not Supported'
Mar 25, 2010 4:46AM PDT

Seriously, I have had this problem for over a year now and have been getting by on a component connection, but I finally had a second 1080p display to test the 'sync it to another TV that works first then it'll work on the Samsung' theory. And it did not work. Is there really no official word from either Sony or Samsung on this matter? I've been search for a resolution for OVER A YEAR!

My TV is a Samsung LN46A650 which gets 'Mode Not Supported' on all 4 HDMI inputs when connected to the PS3. I connected the PS3 to an ASUS 24" LCS monitor over HDMI and it auto-configured the display for 1080p perfectly. I shut everything down and moved the HDMI connection to the TV, and 'Mode Not Supported' was still there.

I then went back to the ASUS monitor and manually configured HDMI for 1080p ONLY. Back to Samsung - 'Mode Not Supported'. I then went back to the ASUS monitor and manually configured HDMI for 1080i ONLY. Back to Samsung - 'Mode Not Supported'. I did not bother trying 720p only because I'm not interested in 720p on my 1080p TV.

So I have tried everything I have found on the internet and have no solution. Yes, I tried the 'just unplug the TV from power for a few minutes' theory as well as the 'try the TV on another outlet/location/residence' theory.

Oh, and yes, the TV works with 1080p over HDMI from my Cable/DVR box, so it isn't the TVs available resolutions. And yes the TV has the latest available firmware, and yes the PS3 is running the most recent system update.

Why won't my PS3 and my TV play nice?

- Collapse -
---
Mar 25, 2010 4:55AM PDT

I have/had a similar issue, but not with a ps3 or sammy product...it's my cabvle box and tv (won't mention the brand)

The solution ...try turning on your PS3 BEFORE anything else...wait till it's fully on, then turn on your receiver/tv .....

IF its ok, I suggest you just leave the PS3 running always..

If not, well..sorry...figuered it was worth a try....like I said, I have the same problem with my cable box

- Collapse -
Thanks, but no go.
Mar 25, 2010 5:08AM PDT

Yes I have tried various iterations of power-up sequences with my various devices, but to no avail.

Thank you for offering your suggestion though.

Oh, and yes I have tried several different brands of HDMI cable, and yes they were all 1.3 compliant.

- Collapse -
Samsung Avr720 ps3 problem ANSWER!!
Dec 6, 2010 2:02AM PST

i can help you out on your problem,first off before changing everything to hdmi go in ps3 and set audio and video to HDMI then save and shut off Ps3.2 Turn on your samsung reciever and push dvd on the remote after you push the input button on the reciever where the front panel is and set that to hdmi 1 because most of time it is set to optical and thats what causes the problem that everyone is having hope I help you out man

CNET Forums

Forum Info