Resolved Question

Infamous 'black Screen Of Death'; Any Solutions?

Hey!

I've been googling and googling to no avail, so I thought I'd ask here.

My laptop is a two year old Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5094. Last night , I believe it went into sleep mode, and I left it alone for a few hours. When I came back and tried to power on, the fans whirred, my disk drive started, and the beeping noises of my computer starting also sounded, but then nothing happened.

The screen is black. Shining a flashlight on it, there appears to be nothing.

The "On," "Power Cord" and "Battery" LEDs light up white. The battery one goes out immediately when the power cord is unplugged, and is white the rest of the time.

Something (I think) is heartening is that on startup the CAPS LOCK key and the Num key's LEDs flash green. The CD/DVD drive responds and opens.

However, I've tried many different combos of resets, powerbutton mashing, function key mashing-nothing. There are also no beeps past the intial "whoa, we're starting up" beeps.

Any suggestions? My next move is to try to hook up an external monitor. I'll report back with my findings.

Discussion is locked
Clarinet4444 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Infamous 'black Screen Of Death'; Any Solutions?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Infamous 'black Screen Of Death'; Any Solutions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Just one.

Good idea on the external but the powerbutton mashing? Was it that generic reset we note at the top of this forum?

Also, unplug ALL USB things, do the reset and without adding the USB things, try again.

- Collapse -
No dice :(

Yes, the generic 60-second hard reset. No luck.
No luck with the external monitor either; it didn't even pick up a signal from my computer.

- Collapse -
did you try

booting your computer up off of a Linux Live disc, that will let you eliminate a few things if it does boot up, just a thought ....Digger

- Collapse -
Linux Live?

What's a Linux Live disc and where can I get one?

- Collapse -
I guess
- Collapse -
or here
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop . If you use either of these , don't download them into your hard drive, you can just run them off of the disc . If they run off of the disc it may mean you have a problem with the hard drive. I'm not the best person to explain this but it will get you started .
- Collapse -
Answer
Sometimes when your

computer makes beeping noises the number of Beeps tells you whats wrong. I would check with Toshiba support to see if this is the case.

- Collapse -
Whoops

Ahh, unfortunately it's not making helpful beeping noises- I guess it's not really beeping at all. The noise I was referring to was the cd drive engaging. Sorry!

CNET Forums