TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Ineresting,,very interesting, BBY have any???John

by jcrobso / November 21, 2006 6:21 AM PST

Arriving at retailers in North America, the U.K., France, and Germany in mid-November 2006, the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player will retail for $199.99 in North America (ESRP) and

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ineresting,,very interesting, BBY have any???John
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ineresting,,very interesting, BBY have any???John
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
By the way
by NM_Bill / November 21, 2006 1:25 PM PST

the Microsoft disk player does movies in HD-DVD but is not for running X-Box games.

My info source, Newsweek magazine, November 20, 2006 edition.

Sony regards their Blu ray decision as critical. The Blu-ray has about 50 gigabytes of storage. The HD-DVD has about 30 gigs. Sony figures developers eager to exploit the highest resolution will have games within a year which will fill up all 50 gigs.

Sony is betting big with this to counter "The Dark Side" (Microsoft.) We already heard estimates of the $600 unit costing Sony $840 to make. The IBM chip is bodacious; 7 cells running in parallel, delivering 50 times the performance of their G5 PowerPC chip.

Does that make anyone wonder if Apple decided correctly to go with Intel instead? In fact it makes it a double if. If Apple stayed with IBM, sharing the same hot chip with Sony, then considering Sony Corporations' big woes, what about an Apple/Sony merger? OK, too many ifs. But, just for good measure, we know Apple kept their dual programming for 4 years secret just for that "what if" moment. If they still are programming both for Intel & IBM chips, could they be considering being able to play one off the other. OK, I guess that's bogus, too, as IBM was a problem not being responsive to Apple beacuse they weren't a big enough customer.

Collapse -
I worked for IBM for 32 years, they did some dumb things.
by jcrobso / November 21, 2006 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: By the way

"IBM was a problem not being responsive to Apple because they weren't a big enough customer." I think there were other things going on also. John

Collapse -
Huge companies tend to do dumb things
by NM_Bill / November 22, 2006 4:38 AM PST

IBM failed to see personal computers coming. Sony was a killer company but lost their way. They even put a Westerner English speaker in now as president.

Microsoft stock goes nowhere while they have unlimited money to spend while figuring how they can horn in on Playstation, Google, etc. Their new iPod challenger was reviewed by one as a great hardware product, but said if they only could write software as well as Apple the Zune would be great. Ha! That comment about the world's software monopolist.

I've been a Mac dude since the early days, I suppose because of their anti-establishment attitude. In the lean years I surely had to suffer along. Their new laptops deserve to be getting 12% of the market. I'm eagerly awaiting Leopard (earlyish 2007). Mine has the older chips. The Intel ones tempt, but, gads, the pace of keeping up. Sure Core 2 Duos are nice, but quad cores are in the wings.

But, I do credit Apple for being a player in convergence. Hell, we should all be rooting for convergence. Mac allows dual platform. Nice.

My own convergence topic of interest is in regards to music serving convergence. I'm so bummed waiting for mainstream attention to attainable music servers. Interesting starts are by Sonos, Olive & now, Slim Devices Transporter. We're still talking a couple grand anyway for those & establishing wireless connectivity thoroughout the home, including, possibly, big hard drive for PC music storage.

For the future, extensive video or audio resources may be either online services such as Rhapsody, EX radio or Sirius, or humongous hard drive storage for those product resources. Service providers tend to nickel & dime you to death (such as cable companies & internet providers), but truly good service providers might make buying individual CDs & DVDs passe. Yes, intellectual property providers will scream as they have always been very greedy. Hey, we've always hated the movie & music companies anyway.

Collapse -
IBM failed to see personal computers coming. Thats for sure!
by jcrobso / November 22, 2006 5:47 AM PST

The rumors of IBM board wars that trickled down were very interesting, very interesting in deed!!!
Many IBM board officers said IBM couldn't build a PC, but of them from the Boca Ration plant said he thought he could. The biggest mistake was getting that Billy Gates guy to write the OS for it.
Apple's error was keeping the price inflated as the cost of building PCs dropped. Notice how Mac sales have gone through the roof as the price has become more completive? Lower cost and a much better OS.
Sony did the same thing with the Beta Max, High price while the cost of VHS units dropped. Sony made other errors with this product.
Anyone remember that the MMPA was suing Sony for the Beta Max?? They finally dropped the suite when the studios realized how much money they could make from VHS sales, Yes Sony took the brunt of and VHS took off, oh well. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.