Cameras forum

General discussion

indoor pics lowlight areas

by anam.anam / September 24, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

hi :))

i am currently researching on wot digital cameras to buy... nd i am so lost :(( . can u please tell me what features should i look in a camera if i want good pictures in indoor lowlight areaS? n can you give me few recommations of wot camera should i buy?

help is appreciated Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: indoor pics lowlight areas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: indoor pics lowlight areas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Indoor/Low-light
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 7:48 AM PDT

If you are going to use flash for the indoor or low-light situations, just about any digital camera will do a good job.

As long as you stay withing the range of the flash.
Most small digital cameras are limited to about 12 feet for flash.
Larger cameras have a flash that reaches out to about 20 feet.

If you plan to do low-light photography without using flash, that brings up a whole host of things to think about.

1. Low-light usually means you will be shooting with slow shutter speeds, which means you will need a tripod to support the camera.

2. If you don't want to use a tripod, you are going to need some expensive camera equipment. DSLR camera and bright lenses.

3. If your budget is under $600, you are quite limited in what camera to buy. Even then the results will be just adequate ... at the best.
The only camera(s) with an advantage are the Fujifilm cameras that use their Super CCD sensor.

...between $175 and $350 look at the Fujifilm F20, F30, F31fd, F40fd, and F50fd.

...between $350 and $500, look at the Fujifilm "S" series of cameras (except the S700).

Perhaps you can tell us more about how you plan to use the camera and the amount you plan to spend on the camera.

Collapse -
hhmm
by anam.anam / September 24, 2007 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Indoor/Low-light

thanks for ure reply

my budget is anything around or less than $750.

i am basically looking for a compact digi cam.. that i can mainly use
at parties...clubs..night outs. where dah lights r all so dizzzy.. n mixed. the snaps tend to come out blurred..n dark..

Collapse -
Casual Photos
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: hhmm

People often are looking for a camera for casual usage in low light areas.

Your best bet is the Fujifilm "F" series of cameras that I listed on my last post.
F20, F30 etc.

I have used the F30 in a well lit restaurant and got very good results.
Under darker conditions, you will get some noise, but acceptable photos.

Those cameras have a very good flash which covers about 20 feet.

They also have a setting that lets you take two photos each time; one without flash and one with flash.

Collapse -
use flash
by hjfok / September 25, 2007 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: hhmm

Your photos will be blurry in a night club without flash. The light is too dim and even the Fuji at high ISO will not get good results without flash. The shutter speed will be slow and there will be blurring from both subject movements and involuntary camera shakes. So if you have an existing camera, then try to use flash rather than night scene mode. If that looks bad, then try the Fuji cameras.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.