TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Indoor HDTV Antenna!

Hey everyone..love coming here to hear from all of you. I always get the most spot-on advice.

Anyhow...I just bought the philips 50" flast plasma (50PF7220A/37) from Costco. The picture quality through my regular dishnetwork box is so-so, which is understandable. I called dishnetwork to upgrade to HD to I can take advantage of this aweseome TV and they suggested that I wait till march, because that's when they're releasing their new HD lineup along with a new box that includes mpeg-4 (whatever that means). In the meantime I figured I'd get an HD antenna so I can watch the superbowl at the very least in HD..but I live in a condo, I cannot hang another antenna out (along with my dish) and drag wires across the floor. So what is the deal with these indoor antennas? do they really work? anybody with any experiences? maybe you could recommend a particular brand?

As usual..I appreciate any and all help.

Sincerely,

The HD Novice
hoxfan1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Indoor HDTV Antenna!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Indoor HDTV Antenna!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
INDOOR ANTENNA? dish network news

In reply to: Indoor HDTV Antenna!

It may work for a few bucks its worth a try. Also please wait until March for the new 211 basaic hi-def sat system It will have h.d.m.i. output also all network hi-def channels will be for FREE I have basic, hi-def package and VOOM and your going to love it I dont have h.b.o. etc because they only have 1 channel in hi-def and the movies stink. good luck to you and dont forget the snack bar

Collapse -
First....

go to

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

& type in your address & un-select the check-boxes & click on the submit button.

It will tell you how far away you are from all the transmission towers in your area, don't get an indoor antenna if they are more than 40 miles away.

Collapse -
RE: indoor antenna

In reply to: First....

Hmm..I typed it in..and most of the stations are about 42-49 miles away...so i have no other alternatives then to just wait for the box in march?

either way..I appreciate you saving me the hassle.

thanks.

Collapse -
Try a on dish antenna

In reply to: RE: indoor antenna

They make antennas that clip onto the dish and you can diplex the signal to use the same cable you are using now. Let me know if you need help. michael@audioescape.net Mike

Collapse -
Antenna

hoxfan1,

As important as the distance are any obstacles in your "line of sight" to the towers. If you are in a flat valley, 40-50 miles isn't too bad. If you have lots of hills, mountains or tall buildings then you have a problem and it would not work unless you are on top of a hill.

It might be worth a try (if you have a good line of sight) attaching an antenna to your dish or even one inside. Most of the indoor units aren't that strong but worth a try. Also you could suspend a smaller outdoor antenna from a ceiling if it points out the window with a straight line of sight to the tower.

I hear that those with OTA reception get great picture quality.

RR6

Collapse -
Out door antenna works great

Before Katrina blew away my home I had an outdoor antenna that cliped onto my dishnetwork dish, it worked great. I was able to receive some of the New Orleans stations that are about sixty miles away. The place I'm living now doesn't have cable, so I rely on an indoor antenna. Don't waste your money on the amplified antennas. I tried both amplified and unamplified and got better reception with the cheap unamplified $7.99 RCA antenna I bought at K-Mart. HD channels come in cristal clear.

Collapse -
Indoor HDTV Antenna!

Collapse -
Zenith Silver Sensor

Last January, I bought a Zenith Silver Sensor HDTV/UHF antenna to watch the Super Bowl on FOX in hi-def. It did, and still does, an excellent job. It pulls in all my local digital and hi-def signals as well as some UHF analog channels. My major local stations are 20-25 miles away and I live on flat terrain. It's highly directional so it takes some time to find just the right direction for each station. The antennaweb site can help you with that. It was only $20 at Buy.com. It might be worth a try. Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.