PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Indentical Mobo, one works, one doesn't! Why??

I recently received two, ECS GOAL3+ MOBO w/CPU (AMD Sempron 3000+).
I set them up following step by step procedure for bench checking...

The first MOBO works fine. The second, the CPU Fan starts but nothing else.

I used the same power supply, memory, keyboard, monitor, and mouse in each mobo. Why did the second fail to function correctly? Is it a bad CPU? or could the CMOS Battery be bad on the second mobo?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Indentical Mobo, one works, one doesn't! Why??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Indentical Mobo, one works, one doesn't! Why??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Recheck the work

In reply to: Indentical Mobo, one works, one doesn't! Why??

This has to be done in order to be nothing is amiss. Small things can be forgotten or taken for granted. I would under these circumstances return the bad one and just leave it at that. The longer you play with it may cause further problem(s), then they can blame you. use the warranty and state one works and the other doesn't under the same test bed.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Recheck the work

After disassembly, I reassembled and rechecked the second Mobo. When it still failed, I Then, rechecked the first mobo with same items and it still works... Thanks, for your help. I will get it returned...

I'd still like to know why it failed... Do you know? Or is it more testing required? (I am not a techie. I just follow instructions well.)

Thanks for your help...

Collapse -
Be happy

In reply to: Thanks

I can't say for sure as at this level its more of a close inspection type of thing. I check the solder runs, and shorts or bent points, broken contacts, etc., that could be at fault. You could swap the bios(if socketed) and see if that helps. Sometimes, it just so. Maybe s/h damage or the bios needs an update, etc., Some jumper or setting isn't right. Poor soldering or similar. Maybe a blown capacitor already, or even worse an outdated version/rev. wasn't done from the factory, then look at the stickers/decals and/or silk-screened info. really, its out of your hands as very possibility you couldn't fix it and would you want to as warranty comes into play.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks again...

In reply to: Be happy

Your recent input was most helpful... Thanks a million... The mobo is on its way back...

Have a great day Willy.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.