Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Incredible dificult wifi setup

by fscussel / July 9, 2013 10:45 AM PDT

What I'm trying to do is:

wifiA(Int signal) <-wireless-> router A <-cable-> router B (AP) <-> Devices

problem is wifiA will vary, so I need router A to have a fixed IP for itself. Router B also needs fixed IP, cause I need to get in A setup to connect to other networks. If it has dinamyc IP it's hard to know what the ip is.

biggest problem is that since I will connect to different wifi's the subnet could be 192.168.1.XXX, 192.168.0.XXX, 192.168.5.XXX

so router A would be connected to a 192.168.0.1 for example, while in the same time I need it to have an ip of 192.168.1.100 for itself. How to do that?

also I am confused on how to configure both routers in the following fields:

Operation mode: bridge or NAT DHCP client, server, off subnet mask IP of each router (does it have to be in a range? I'm using 192.168.1.100 for A and 192.168.1.100 for B)

also, how should I interconnect both routers, in 1 to 4 router A linking to Internet port router B? or both in the 1-4 ports?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Incredible dificult wifi setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Incredible dificult wifi setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 11:06 AM PDT

As this would require two internet IP addresses and incur double the fees (US and Canada, I can't speak for the rest of the world) I wonder why this odd setup was designed.

I'd return any funds to the client as they are not going to be happy.

In parting I've done the more usual

Cable modem -> Router -> Devices and second router as a WAP

And I don't consider that difficult or as expensive as what you are trying to do.
Bob

Collapse -
necessary
by fscussel / July 9, 2013 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck.

it's necessary to do so, because I interact with plenty of wifi signals, so one router would work as the horse, messing with all the IP translations, and the other is the one the devices will connect to so to receive internet signal. another way to do it would be wireless repeater mode. it's ALMOST the same. but not the same. since I must connect to different wifi signals, the wireless repeater would be too much troble, cause all the devices connected would change their ip's when I connect to another wifi signal.

Collapse -
My setup is not a wireless repeater.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: necessary

It's a WAP. Very different.

But since you want this, you'll have to pony up the payments to get your second router working (another internet IP from the ISP.)

This ain't cheap.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!