Computer Help forum

Question

increasing the speed and performance of windows xp (sp3)

by Gimpae / November 5, 2013 8:10 AM PST

hey guys, I have been browsing the web for a few days now looking for remedies for my computer. i have an old seanix running windows xp (wich i had to reinstall, thinking it would solve the problem) with an amd anthon processor. There is currently no graphics card in it, just the one thats built in i guess you would say. The problem with it is its extrmely slow, im talking like tortise slow and im wondering if there are any free methods i can use to make it somewhat faster and game compatable (such as runescape private servers etc) ive tried pc cleaning it and drive cleaning it and nothing seemed to help at all, the program i used for that was reginout. also it seems to lagg extrmely hard on youtube and any other site that requires common plugins. Are there anyways i can speed it up and make it run almost like new, im on a student budget atm so i cant really buy anything Sad

(P.s it used to be an old school computer and has probably had many active accounts on it)

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: increasing the speed and performance of windows xp (sp3)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: increasing the speed and performance of windows xp (sp3)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not much hope.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 8:45 AM PST

Having looked at the specs on this. You might try MSCONFIG and go to the startup tab and stop a few things there. Try Googling MSCONFIG for a guide.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
Not really
by Jimmy Greystone / November 5, 2013 9:42 AM PST

Not really. Generally there are only three methods for improving performance of a computer. In no real particular order they are:

1: Install a faster CPU
2: Install more RAM
3: Reduce the number of running programs

There are a bunch of programs out there that will make all kinds of claims about speeding up your computer and probably near 100% of them are scams. The few that aren't outright scams don't really do anything that you couldn't have done yourself in about 5 minutes.

But in the case of a single core Athlon or AthlonXP CPU, you're pretty much screwed. It just won't have what it takes to decode a lot of youtube content, especially any HD content. It'll be fine for basic web browsing and tasks like word processing and email, but the world passed this computer by a long long time ago and basically the best thing to do is take it out back and put a bullet in it if you expect it to have even a prayer of keeping up with even pretty bargain basement PCs. If you installed Linux on it you might be able to get slightly better performance, but probably not a lot.

If it were me, I'd just try and set aside a few bucks here and there. Maybe you skip that cup of coffee one day a week and put that money into a jar or something for a new computer. Or you do kind of an old college standby of living off ramen noodles for a while. Find something you could do without for a period of time and take the money you'd spend on that and put it towards a new computer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!