General discussion

INCREASING THE RANGE OF MY WIRELESS SIGNAL--NEED ADVICE !!

The following is how my internet is set up in my house...
I had my house prewired with CAT 5 cable to 8 different rooms/locations in my
house on different levels. Each location/room has a wired cat 5 outlet to hook up to a computer if needed.
The outside cable comes in my basement and is connected to my modem. My modem is connected to a netgear switch which has the 8 wired cat 5 wires going to the different locations throughout the house. On the main level of home in my study on the far end of my house, I have a desktop. I have a Cisco Valet plus router which is wired directly to my desktop and then provides my wireless signal for the other laptops for my kids which has rooms on the upper level. However, on the other end of my house where my son's bedroom is located, there is not a strong enough of a signal for him to be able to surf.

Now my question is what is the best/easiest way to extend the range of my wireless signal.. I have a netgear or linksys modem(can't recall which at the moment) and an airport extreme wireless router. Can I connect one of these up to a location upstairs with the cat 5 outlet and use it as an additional hot spot or access point? If so, does it have to have a special configuration and can you explain in detail how to do so? Or is there a better or easier way to accomplish the same purpose. I'm not by any means a computer tech guru but usually if given specific detailed instructions can figure it out. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: INCREASING THE RANGE OF MY WIRELESS SIGNAL--NEED ADVICE !!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: INCREASING THE RANGE OF MY WIRELESS SIGNAL--NEED ADVICE !!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry.
- Collapse -
First off . . .

Consumer routers are not designed for multi-level homes.

You have two choices.

1. Connect thus: modem -> router -> wired devices. If you have more devices than wired ports, connect a wired switch (8 or 16 port) to the router, not the modem, and connect the devices to the switch.

2, For full wireless coverage, drop some cash and hire a wireless networking professional.

Don't mean to be blunt, but these are the facts. Otherwise you'll be jacking with it from now on.

- Collapse -
Distance wirelessly

Actually, I do live in a multi-story home and was operating on a "N" router. I added a iMac 21.5 and a new HP printer and kept the HP mini-tower and HP laptop. This caused some problems. I contacted Linksys and via their advice I bought a "G" router and after some tedious install I now have a new Network w/the three PCs hooked and printing throughout the house. Just saying, you see.

- Collapse -
INCREASING THE RANGE OF MY WIRELESS SIGNAL Reply

If you already have the router connected like you say you should try a repeater located on a different floor of your multi-story house to amplify (repeat) the signal.

If you do not want to set up the repeater (since this is more a tool for businesses or organizations with a bunch of people who need connections to be able to connect easier from farther distances) you could try a USB wireless adapter. I currently use the Wi-Fire which is a long range USB wireless range extender. I have one computer upstairs in my den with the router next to it, and two others in the basement of my home. With the Wi-Fire I am easily able to connect in my basement with no problems what so ever - I can even take my laptop outside and receive a connection when the Wi-Fire is plugged into my USB port.

I hope this helps!

CNET Forums

Forum Info