Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Increasing files

by Remegel / January 13, 2007 12:38 AM PST

Hi All, Hope ye can help me. I ve got this computer a windows xp about 4 years . the first 2 years when scanning computer with nortons internet security the files scanned averaged around 35000, to about 50,000 files.The 3rd year the files scanned jumped to about 230,000. got it checked out in comp shop they said it need to be wiped. I collected it when it was ready. But i notices when scanned it had the same amount of files. The computer seem to be ok other wise. so now a year later the no of files scannned have jumped to around 600,000 files.Is there a virus that doing this or is it a normal rate of increase.There is not a load of stuff installed on it on this computer.

Remegel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Increasing files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Increasing files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us what you do to clean up?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Increasing files

Do you run disk cleanup?

Have you looked at using CCLEANER? (google.com)

Bob

Collapse -
increasing files
by Remegel / January 13, 2007 6:57 AM PST

Hi, yes i use disk cleanup very often n use EClean.

Remegel

Collapse -
(NT) Now try the item I suggested.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: increasing files
Collapse -
Increasing Files
by Remegel / January 13, 2007 8:30 AM PST

Hi, I have tried most cleaners but to know avail.

Remegel

Collapse -
Now try the one I suggested.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: Increasing Files

Then start offering examples of where the buildup of files are.

Names, sizes, that is the clues that could help find this thing.

-> Let's add another cleanup tool too. Free AVG AntiSpyware. Delete what it finds.

Bob

Collapse -
Increasing files.
by Remegel / January 13, 2007 9:54 AM PST

Hi, Dont really know where those files are building up. Only going by what files internet security scans.The funny thing is that comp seem to be running fast enought.Ran a scan with Windows live onecare scan.It get a 50 MB temp internet cache somewhere but dosnt delete it.Ye will try that anti spy one.

remegel

Collapse -
Increasing files
by Remegel / January 13, 2007 11:18 AM PST

Hi, Done what you said n ran a AVG Anti Spyware scan. It found nothing.

Remegel

Collapse -
So ccleaner and free avg items done and ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 11:34 AM PST

You removed any items they noted.

Next? Look for files created in the past 24 hours. These are what I note as suspects.

Bob

Collapse -
increasing files
by Remegel / January 14, 2007 7:30 AM PST

Hi there, Ive scanned with cc cleaner eclean avg antispy and another scan with nortons anti virus. Avg got 283,445. the scan with nortons came to 670,000 files an increase of 70,000 file today. but when i searched for file created today there dont seem to be no big increase. Oh thanks for tip on system restore.

Remegel

Collapse -
HI
by Remegel / January 14, 2007 7:35 AM PST

Hi , Checked the files created in the last 24 hours n last week, i can figure out what most files are but other i dont have a clue, there dont seem to be no where near an increase like nortons virus says.

remegel

Collapse -
"i can figure out what most files are but"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2007 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: HI

But what about those others?

Remember that Norton may double and triple scan files so it's count is inaccurate.

Sorry to have no new clues being shared. Even a few files you can't explain (names, etc.) could have given members clues as to what's up.

Bob

Collapse -
Increasing files
by Remegel / January 14, 2007 9:08 AM PST

hi there, Heres a few of the files wbemess c:/windows/system32/wbem... i kb text document, edb.chk C:\windows\softwareDistrubuteDataStore\logs 8 KB recorvered File Fragments. But im coming to the conclusion that norton anti virus cant count lol. But its a thing thats bugging me with 2 years file increasing so fast but no disk free space dissapearing and computer seem to be going ok. So ill give it a rest for now until the urge get me to investigate again. Thanks to all.

remegel

Collapse -
Is there a typo there?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2007 10:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Wrong spelling
by Remegel / January 14, 2007 11:13 AM PST
In reply to: Is there a typo there?

Hi , Sorry i spelled a word wrong . It should be distribution Data store. It checks out ok i think. It that a way to check file your not sure what they are is to googgle iy.

Gerry

Collapse -
Increasing files
by Remegel / January 15, 2007 3:45 PM PST
In reply to: Is there a typo there?

Hi there im back again, Ive be doing some investigating and i may have found those files or i may not. maybe i should call them the phantom files. Well i ran a scan and watched what it was scanning and followed it progress with windows explorer.After 80,000 files scanned it starts scanning C\Window\Installer\21f1e.msp which i couldnt find with windows explorer,or by doing a search.So on and on for 530,000 files more. these are some of the files names C\Windows\Installer\204903.msc ,C\Windows\Installer\21f1e.msc, C\Windows\Installer227b899.msc and so on . what are .msc files.

Collapse -
Increasing Files
by Remegel / January 13, 2007 7:34 AM PST

Hi, Im comming to the conclusion that its a virus dont know its name but if you have a widow open it keeps duplicates the window until you close it. That just happen about an hour ago.The last time i see that was just before the files started to increase first.Its not a new virus by what i can gather and wondering why my up to date Norton Internet Security not picking it up.

Remegel

Collapse -
If it was A Spy/Trojan/Key logger, AVG AS Would Have Got
by tobeach / January 13, 2007 4:12 PM PST
In reply to: Increasing Files

as to the temp files any & all, CCleaner set up (even w/mild settings) should have got everything temp except for the last 48 hours.
To correct this, open CCleaner, click "Options" button>Advanced>& then remover check mark in box by "Only delete files in Windows temp folders older than 48 hours". After this, run CCleaner> click "analyze", note the quantity to be cleaned and then click run cleaner. If there is 50 Megs to go it may take some time (proceeding band may cross left to right several times). Once finished, go back & re-check the 48 hours box for normal use. IF an infection/problem is in temp files(Java Byte Verify) this should get it.
Also be sure on the "applications tab" to see various media items
(Win Media Plyr/Movie Maker/ & Adobe, Java, Mozilla (has 5 temp caches)(if you have)etc. are checked. On line vid clips etc. are quite large items and enter temp files if not saved.
One other thought: System restore files may be getting very large from constant additions. Default is 12% of total hard drive size!! 3% should be adequate. This can be adjusted by opening sys restore, click settings link on left, then settings on next page & moving slider to the left. Ok/apply/ok back out & reboot.

The above should be of some help. Good luck Happy

Collapse -
delete or purge
by Amos16 / January 13, 2007 3:38 AM PST

Hi - if you just delete the file you will not save space as it remains there in the background. You need to purge the files - this is a short comment on Bob's post above - Amos.

Collapse -
There are many ways items build up
by DarCLew2 / January 13, 2007 7:45 PM PST
In reply to: delete or purge

If you are using IE6 SP1 or SP2, There are Cookies, There is a Temporary Internet Files & History. Disk Cleanup is ok BUT if old compressed files, items stored in recycle bin & Temorary Internet Files, when you click om Compressed Files, go to Options. Mine was 50 days and is now 1 day. Internet Options in the Control Panel, is History set for 20 days? Mine is set for 0 days. Disk space was huge, and it is set for 10 MB. You can delete cookies there, temporary internet files and history. IE7, delete all. Now CCleaner is effective but some items you may want to keep. In the2nd box, is temporary files and those are temp files. Other Tab has Applications. Macromedia is unchecked, so is WMP, Ad-Aware, AVG, Grisoft & Spybot are also unchecked. There is a Blue Icon that says Issues. That are items no longer used in the registry. If items show up, don't save them, click the middle of 3 items listed, select fix. Amos mentioned how items are still using that blank space now and that is compacted by using Defrag. I have a 13.32 GB Hard Drive and I have 9.16 GB of free space.

Collapse -
increasing files
by Remegel / January 14, 2007 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: delete or purge

hi, how do you purge the file instead of deleting it.

remegel

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!