HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Increase PC performance

by SimNgu / August 21, 2005 12:00 PM PDT

hi there,

I own a desknote pc and the processor is transmeta 1ghz, 128 mb of RAM and 20 gigabye of harddisk. and currently i'm using win XP (classic mode). the desknote is very very lagging and too ages to switch on an application. i would like to ask is there any possible way of boosting my desknote performace apart fom upgrading the RAM.

regards,

Sim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Increase PC performance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Increase PC performance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really
by Yew / August 21, 2005 12:43 PM PDT

Increasing the amount of RAM would be what would give you the biggest bang for your buck by far and away. XP alone wants 256MB, and then each program you run wants more on top of that (figure anywhere between about 16-64MB for most non-game apps).

Really doesn't matter what else you do to the system, the lack of RAM is your performance bottleneck. Your ONLY other option would be to try reverting back to an OS like Win98 that might run a bit better on 128MB of RAM, but I'm not so sure how well it'd like that Transmeta CPU. It would probably detect it as something like a 486 CPU, and so programs may not run.

Collapse -
Ram, is the quick cure
by Willy / August 21, 2005 1:33 PM PDT

I think you really answerred you're own question. At 128mb for a XP OS based system you really dragging it around. While it works, 256mb is recommended and 512mb is truly the breakfree point.

If you haven't already review whatever pgms. you run and see what gets loaded at "startup". If they're not used frequently(alot) it will hog the system resources. Constant system demands can be trimmed under such circumstances and thus "you" are the best judge of that. Of course defrag and clean the HD every once awhile to clean house. If you've load and unload pgm. to test/try out, use a registry cleaner to better remove the rememants of old pgms. Those are the areas, i would look into. Check this website for possible hints/clues as well: http://www.blackviper.com

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.