Speakeasy forum

Praise

Income inequality in the US

by Ziks511 / July 4, 2011 12:53 PM PDT

top 1% have an average income of $1.137 million

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

There are 3 graphs on this page. I particularly wish what people think that income distribution is was true. It would be bliss for everyone. But please note what people think that income distribution should be is so profoundly different from reality.

And check out the wealth of Members of Congress and Senators. Poor Diane Feinstein with a net worth of only $1.08 million

Average net worth of a member of Congress? $912 thousand. No wonder they have no idea how the rest of us live, or in the case of Republicans, care.

Rob

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Income inequality in the US
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Income inequality in the US
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why do you worry so much...
by James Denison / July 4, 2011 1:04 PM PDT

...about what everyone else has? Why can't you be content with what you have? If someone else was rich by their own righteous efforts would you envy them their reward? If instead they were wealthy by some form of graft, would you feel you were owed some of those ill gotten gains? What the rich have or have not is really none of your or my business, since it doesn't belong to you or me. How much money or riches would it take to make you happy? How much money taken from the rich would make you happy? Why is it alway so much about envy with you? I would wager the rich have never done anything against you and that any money problems you may have or had in the past actually stemmed more from your own shortcomings than anything others have done to you. When you start living your own life and quit worrying so much about others who may have more, you will find happiness, even in having less than they. Money and possessions can be a worry and vexation of the soul.

Collapse -
I suspect from the names alone
by TONI H / July 4, 2011 7:24 PM PDT

that the majority of the wealthy in Congress and the Senate has come from 'old money'....or married into it.

Most 'normal' wealthy citizens are ones who acquired their wealth by risking everything they had to start a business and turned into something successful, and kept risking by investing back into the company.

It's been proven, even with BO's constant harping about 'millionairs and billionairs' that even taxing that top 1% of the 'earners' 100% of their income, it wouldn't come close to paying down our national debt. I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate having his entire book earnings wiped out in addition to any other income he has and he would have an entire fleet of accountants tapping those 'evil' loopholes looking for ways to keep living in the style he's grown accustomed to.

No matter what liberals think about the wealthy, they got that way because of capitalism and the willingness to risk all in order to GET wealthy. Should they be punished now and have that wealth taken from them in order to give to those who aren't as business savvy or who aren't willing to take a risk? BO revealed what he really believes about capitalism when he made the statement (paraphrased by me since I can't find the actual quote now) "You don't need anymore than you already have so you can afford to give the excess to the government and we'll distribute it for you to those who we think need it".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?