Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Inadequate wi-fi for streaming with Blu-ray

by KentSlimm / August 3, 2012 4:21 AM PDT

The wireless signal from my Verizon FiOS/Actiontec router is adequate for laptops throughout my house but highly variable for streaming Netflix movies on my LG Blu-ray player. Apparently the router is designed so a repeater or extender to strengthen the signal won't work. Moving the router closer to the Blu-ray isn't practical. I tried a Powerline adapter and it didn't work with my electrical system.

Then I got the idea that the Blu-ray could be plugged in directly to the STB (CHS435HDC) rather than into the router, something that another on-line discussion suggested had been successful (although with a non-Verizon DVR). I tried connecting the Blu-ray to the STB with an ethernet cable and it didn't work ("wired dynamic IP is not set"). Should I try manually setting IP mode or DNS server specs on the Blu-ray? If so, how? Or is my last, desperate idea for streaming movies through my Blu-ray doomed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inadequate wi-fi for streaming with Blu-ray
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inadequate wi-fi for streaming with Blu-ray
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Many of those players
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2012 4:43 AM PDT

Many of those players are less capable and less sensitive than your common laptop. Folk are put off by having to move the WiFi to without 20 feet to see if it's a range issue. The AC powerline issue can be fixed by any competent electrician as they more the AC socket from one side of the line to the other. Here it took me about 15 minutes in total. It's a shame that such skills are considered expert at times but not everyone does this sort of work.

OK, what else? Can you use a Wireless Bridge? There are far too many out there.
Bob

Collapse -
Truly wireless?
by KentSlimm / August 3, 2012 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Many of those players

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to sink too much money into this project -- an electrician plus a PowerLine adapter crosses the line. But I'm open to a reasonably priced wireless bridge if (1) its connection to the router is wireless, not just its connection to the Blu-ray, and (2) it definitely works with my Verizon/Actiontec router, which, I'm told "doesn't support WDS."

Collapse -
WDS is one system
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2012 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Truly wireless?

There are others. Here's a refurb unit that does bridging.

25 bucks at http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/

I picked up a http://sellout.woot.com/offers/mobile-wireless-router-1 for about same price. It may be too much for some to configure. http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/11/zyxels-mwr222-mobile-wireless-router-will-stop-at-nothing-to-ge/ shared what it used to go for and it's got a lot of tricks to get connected.

For me I do my own electrical work since I'm an electronics designer. Moving a wire from one breaker to the next is one of the easiest things I've done lately. Yes, some folk won't know about basic electrical work so they have to call "the guy." I rarely call them.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by KentSlimm / August 3, 2012 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: WDS is one system

You're lucky to have that skill.
I spent some time on the phone with someone from TrendNet who recommended a gaming adapter, which, based on Amazon reviews, seems to work well with Blu-ray players, too. I'm going to give it a try.
Thanks for your advice.

Collapse -
Good advice!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2012 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

The 2 units I noted can be used as gaming adapters as well.

GOOD ADVICE!

Collapse -
Answer
Streaming netflix is a pain
by Pepe7 / August 3, 2012 3:02 PM PDT

What's less painful IME is running an ethernet cable from the router to the BD player, regardless of distance. Powerline solutions aren't what they're cracked up to be either, esp. in comparison to ethernet connections.

Keep in mind there's no requirement to stick to code solutions when running a simple ethernet across the house. Through the floors is accommodated easy enough with a PVC conduit hidden inside a closet. Plenty of other ways to do it w/o having to deal with repeaters that don't normally deal with the problems of wifi streaming.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!