Computer Help forum

General discussion

inactive windows programs.

by sheik reynolds / June 21, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

I have two old programs that I have operated for several years. These are: Works3 and MsWord (2003?). I recently tried to access both and received the following error message-"attempt to access invalid address"
Both of these old programs have files that are needed occasionally. How can I reactivate them?
Hoping for a solution,
Jack.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: inactive windows programs.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: inactive windows programs.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Operating Systems?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 9:59 AM PDT

What make and model is the computer? Age? Operating system?

How did you try to access the program? Opening a Work or Word file from your MY Documents folder? (It could be a bad file.) Clicking on a shortcut on your desktop or start menu? (It could simply be a bad shortcut.) Have you tried navigating straight to the program executable by using Windows Explorer and visiting the C:\Program Files folder?

Microsoft Word 2003 isn't that old and should work fine..

Microsoft Works 3 IS indeed old and it would be nice to know how old the machine is that you're trying to run it on.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
inactivity
by sheik reynolds / June 21, 2010 12:44 PM PDT

I access these programs through desktop from screen icons. Up until a short time ago it worked normally. OS is XP professional, and the computer is a desktop that has been upgraded over the past four years. It has limited storage as the main hard drive is only 40 GB. Excuse amateur postings.
Jack.

Collapse -
Just my thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 10:08 AM PDT

I've lost count about the old NORMAL.DOT failures. I'll let you research that and part with what I do. I delete all of them and let Word create a fresh new one.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, You Didn't Answer All Questions..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 12:13 PM PDT

Although you mentioned your use of Windows XP Pro, you still don't tell us the specifics of your problem. We need those if you expect to get suggestions.. "Developed over the last couple of years" doesn't tell us much and probably isn't truly accurate.. For example, I'm running an old version of Microsoft Works 8.. It's two or three years old, so Works 3, (if that's actually the version) must be 5 or 6 years old or more.. Did you verify which version of Microsoft Word you've got installed?

Did you try accessing the executable to run the program? ETC....

And did you try deleting all "normal.dot" files per Bob's suggestion?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Inactive windows programs
by sheik reynolds / June 21, 2010 1:15 PM PDT

My version of Works is an oldie. It is 3 and is a carryover from an earlier computer. I have tried all accesses of which I am aware with no success. Each time I get the same message. I am strictly a neophyte and can not identify normal.dot. Please bear with me.
Jack.

Collapse -
Do A Search For "normal.dot"
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 22, 2010 2:42 AM PDT

Click on Start-Search, then type: normal.dot into the search line.. Delete all normal.dot files that are found, restart the computer and Word should work..

As to Works 3, your best bet is to uninstall the program from Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs, then reinstall if from the original CD that came with the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
do a search for normal.dot
by sheik reynolds / June 22, 2010 4:44 AM PDT

I completed a search of both hard drives and systems. There is no file with normal.dot anywhere. I'll take your suggestion for Works 3 and solve part of the problem. Should I do the same with Word? Thank you for all your helpful and knowledgeful help.
Jack.

Collapse -
The thing about normal.dot is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2010 4:53 AM PDT

That Word uses that. If someone can't find it it's usually they didn't have explorer showing the file extensions or such files. Sadly I've seen it take 20 posts for folk to find this file. Today I think I should write "keep looking" and google (research) "How to find the normal.dot files?"
Bob

Collapse -
Are you sure...
by Papa Echo / July 2, 2010 7:47 PM PDT

..these two programs are still on your HD ? Check C:\Program Files....and Add/Remove Programs at the control Panel.

Collapse -
Inactive files
by flrhcarr / July 2, 2010 5:46 PM PDT

I agree with Bob. One thing I would like to add. If you in fact have the document & not a path to a deleted file. Invalid address sounds like a missing file.
Saying that you have the documents/files. Have you tried opening them with another program? Open Office is free & opens many document types.
I have had issues with Word documents not opening from an older computer, much the same way .wri files wouldn't open. I use Word Perfect & it opens a majority of files as well, with the exception of some font coding & the like.
I take it that you can't use the original computer or software in the newer one. Just my thoughts.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?