Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

In XP how do you remove shortcut ARROW from desktop icons?

by josephfuentes / April 21, 2009 3:12 PM PDT

I have Win XP SP3 with several icons on my desktop. However the icons I have there have these ugly curly arrows at the bottom left hand side of the icon. how do you remove the arrow (not the icon)?

I know that with Vista you can just use TweakVI. I tried TweakUI for XP but found no similar option to remove the shortcut arrow.

Any ideas how to remove the arrow but leave the icon there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In XP how do you remove shortcut ARROW from desktop icons?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In XP how do you remove shortcut ARROW from desktop icons?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couple of ways
by MichaelM / April 21, 2009 7:42 PM PDT

There is a registry hack, but it is safer to use TweakUI.

Collapse -
Yep, as has been said,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 21, 2009 10:05 PM PDT

TweakUI for XP is the safest way.

Open TweakUI, expand "Explorer", highlight "Shortcut", and you will see the options.

Mark

Collapse -
This one hit the spot
by josephfuentes / April 23, 2009 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep, as has been said,

While I had TweakUI loaded on my system I overlooked the Explorer option. Much easier than a regedit hack. thanks!

Collapse -
Re: In XP how do you remove shortcut ARROW from desktop icon
by Tufenuf / April 22, 2009 12:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Desktop aesthetics

I?m going to agree with the guys above, although I?m always striving for a clean desktop, so I don?t have many icons on there anyway. If it?s something you use on the regular, I?d suggest putting it in your quick-launch bar ? just my opinion.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Shortcut arrow XP
by bigbob242 / April 24, 2009 8:10 PM PDT

Tweak for xp does have the service to remove the arrow, go back and look again.

Collapse -
yes tweakui fixed it
by josephfuentes / April 25, 2009 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Shortcut arrow XP

I went back and took a look at tweakui and sure enough the option was in there. thanks all!

Collapse -
arrows
by jcoppeto / April 26, 2009 11:31 PM PDT

The arrows are there so you know it is a shortcut (or so I thought). Different properties and methods (or actions) can be done against or on shortcuts vs programs.

If you dont use it then delete it from the desktop (most if not all programs are available from start>programs> (menus).

Just my take on it.

Collapse -
In XP how do you remove shortcut ARROW from desktop icons?
by loucy123 / March 19, 2010 6:48 AM PDT

Thank you guys! this is so helpful..!it works like charm..
**tips** after you download TweakUI go to start click all programs and find the newly installed device ..mine appeared as " power toys for windows xp " highlight it then youl see TweakUI .then open it click Explore then Shortcut .. and you will find the options..!!! just a step by step process for a person whose not so Techy like me!!:D

still thank you for this post! keep it up guys!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?