TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

In-wall wiring for surround sound, which would you use?

by mjt7 / August 22, 2006 11:55 PM PDT

I am having a house built and will be pre-wiring it for surround sound. I have done some price shopping for cables such as component, S-Video, HDMI, RCA & Subwoofer cables and want to know what you would recommend.

I have used and enjoy the Monster brand, however they are quite expensive and can run me almost $600 to do just one room. I have seen the Dayton Audio brand as well which is a bit cheaper, but am not sure if they are as good comparably speaking. Or is there another brand that is really good for in-wall wiring as it'll be in the walls for as long as the house is standing, well hopefully.

Thank you
M.T.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In-wall wiring for surround sound, which would you use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In-wall wiring for surround sound, which would you use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In-wall wiring for surround sound
by jcrobso / August 23, 2006 12:55 AM PDT

First off about RC, AV cables. Sam's Club has some Phillips cables very nice, low cost. Radio shack house brand is good.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cables.html
Or for www.partsexpress.com www.fullcompass.com
All of the above are companies that I have uesd.
For speaker cable, 16 lamp cord will work great.
Home Depot has some nice RCA brand speaker wire in 16 and 14 ga.
For in the wall wire you should use plenum grade,
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/315596.html
If you DON'T USE Mon$tor cable you can spend the money you save on better speakers and you WILL hear the difference. John

Collapse -
Thank you for your thoughts
by mjt7 / August 23, 2006 4:01 AM PDT

I actually have looked at Ram Electronics, but only for wall plates. I'll take a look at their wires. PartsExpress is where I saw the Dayton Audio line and initially chose a lot of their products to get. I just have not heard anything about them.

I did pick up some UL3 14G speaker wire for the speakers. Now I'm looking to get the A/V cables.

I'm trying to get an idea of what people are putting inside the walls. Obviously sound and video will appear different to everyone, but just peoples thoughts and reasons why they went with one brand versus another.

Thank you
Matt

Collapse -
Wire for the future...
by diverse23 / August 23, 2006 4:28 AM PDT

Im an intergrator and always tell my clients to wire for the future. If you are doing a flat panel I would say definite HDMI cable as well as component backup with line level audio. You should consider baffling your in wall or in ceiling speaker to get the best sound and help prevent low frequency bleed over into an adjacent room. Just my two cents...

Collapse -
Wire for the future
by mjt7 / August 24, 2006 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Wire for the future...

Thanks for the two-cents. Will help aid in the cost of everything. Happy

We will be adding additional insulation in the walls on top of what the builder will put in.

I've listed what my plan is in another post asking for more information.

Collapse -
Need more info?
by gabereyes / August 23, 2006 1:02 PM PDT

What level of speakers and reciever?

How long will the runs of wires be?
the long the run the bigger your gauge should be for speaker wire and analog video cables.

What type of TV Dlp, plasma, LCD?
will help decide of you should use HDMI or Component video

dont forget the speaker wires should be CI aka in wall rated.

Try klipsh in wall speakes and sub.

Collapse -
More Info
by mjt7 / August 24, 2006 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Need more info?

The type of TV we plan to use will be either 37 or 40 inch LCD. I'm going to install wall plates to connect HDMI, Component, S-Video and Composite RCA & Subwoofer cables. Doing both video formats in case I decide to go one way over another.

The length will be no more than 12 ft except for one run of the subwoofer cable which will be about 15ft. I'm using 14 guage for the in-wall/ceiling speakers, which is UL3 rated.

The receiver I plan to use will be an Onkyo TX-SR803. I'm still in the air as to brand for speakers, but enjoy the Polk line, possibly Proficient Audio. Will have 2 pair plus center as in-wall and one pair in-ceiling.

Collapse -
sound good so far.
by gabereyes / August 24, 2006 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: More Info

14 gauge should be fine, nice reciever im an onkyo fan.

let me know if you find a wall plate with HDMI and S-Video I could use them.

I would not change anything, sounds a OK.
you will probrably like HDMI over Component with a LCD TV though.
Good luck

Collapse -
Good deal.
by mjt7 / August 24, 2006 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: sound good so far.

I've been using an Onkyo receiver since '97 and have enjoyed the heck out of it. It still works good but it's old and I need to catch up to the year '06 in that respect.

As for the wall plate, check out RamElectronics.net. Another user mentioned this site for cables, but they also have a single and double HDMI wall plate as well as component, VGA, S-Video, DVI and others. PartsExpress.com also has plates, but no HDMI. They have a nice 7.1 channel plate that I'll be getting.

I'm sure the HDMI will be great, I just want to have all aspects covered now rather than going through the I should have done.... syndrom.

Won't be too long before I have to get the wires in. Basement's been poured, now the framing is about to start.

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?