Speakeasy forum

General discussion

In the matter of sorting things out after Hurricane Katrina

How about hiring a Dutch Engineering firm experienced in storm surges and floods and dikes and multiple rivers exiting from their territory into the North Sea? This was a question asked of me, not surprisingly, by a Dutch native who moved to Canada as a 10 year old in 1954.

They have 3 rivers which exit into the North See, the Meuse/Maas, the Schelde, and the Rhein/Rijn, and have to manage both coastal waters to maintain fishing and the shellfisheries while keeping the North Sea its storms and its surges under control.

They are also very adept at creating dikes and channels which neither are undermined nor over-topped by the results of both off coastal, and inland storms. Since I was born in 1946 I have a group of National Geographics as gifts from that year that discuss Holland's problems when the Germans flooded their land with sea water. They're still the most densely populated country in Europe, and they have a very successful economy, despite the cost of their sea defenses. Surely, something on the Dutch model makes sense for Louiiana and the Mississippi, and I wouldn't expect it to be any larger or more complex than the Dutch model.

The Dutch I am informed have created not a break water, but an undersea artificial reef made out of concrete tetrahedra which breaks up the storm surge about 1/2 a mile off shore the way the old islands and bayous used to. Average fishing ships just run right over it because it is 8 feet below the water, Regular heavy shipping from Antwerp, Amsterdam and Rotterdam is funnelled out through apertures which can be blocked very quickly rather the way the Thames barrier functions to prevent storm surges in the Thames.

Just a thought, what do you think??

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In the matter of sorting things out after Hurricane Katrina
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In the matter of sorting things out after Hurricane Katrina
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Watched a documentary on the engineering

In reply to: In the matter of sorting things out after Hurricane Katrina

Impressive and effective.

Collapse -
I have read

In reply to: In the matter of sorting things out after Hurricane Katrina

.... in the past about the achievements of the Dutch engineers, which are admirable and fascinating. I have no dot whatsoever that they would make a very valuable contribution to our Louisiana lowlands problems.

A step has been taken, as I undersigned it, to restore the wetlands, which will help tremendously to absorb the impact of the storms.

Pressuring the wetlands is crucial for all the vulnerable coastal areas of the US. Some have done an excellent job of tis.

The hard part now, as in the past, is funding for the levees.

Has Italy, I wonder, sought help from the Dutch for the sinking of Venice?

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Italy is working on the problem in their own disorganized

In reply to: I have read

way. There has been a barrier under construction for some years. But as you note most importantly, Venice is actually sinking, and the way they handle their sewage is to dump it in the canals and let the tides deal with it. Therefore they need a system that both lowers the normal water level by about 8 feet, and that cycles dirty water out into the Adriatic. This is a very complex problem that effectively requires 2 solutions, one for the sewage, and one for the water level. The level of corruption in the various levels of government, and in the construction industry is just an added negative.
Having visited Venice, and loving it as I do, I pray that they do fix the problem, but having visited and travelled in Holland as I have as well, I want to put Northern Europeans in charge of everything. Little corruption and jaw dropping engineering and the willingness to take on the seemingly impossible and accomplish it.

JMO
Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.