TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

In search for a IP data/internet radio receiver/tuner for HA

by Cer07 / August 29, 2008 10:20 PM PDT

Good people of CNET,

Googling the net has not supplied me the info in finding a A-class
(the likes of NAD and such) IP data/internet radio tuner/receiver.
I have seen brands of the likes; Netgear MP101, Linksys and such but it is not what I seek. Currently the market offers some products, but they don?t satisfy the need for easy use or portability or meet supply requirements.

Like for example the top quality NAD C445 DAB tuner is a top notch unit to hook up to your Home Audio&cinema system...But, it lacks a IP data RJ45 connector to receive R.O.I.P. (radio over I.P.) or I.P.R.R.(IP radio Receiver) Below some features I think would make the case clear.

MAIN CHARACTERISTICS TUNER/RECEIVER

The apparatus? main functional characteristics are:

* Internet Radio without personal computer use
* IP streaming receiver with LAN connection or WiFi standard IEEE 802.11b/g
* Display for tuning functions and receiving information and EPG Electronic program guides for radio
* Function buttons for managing volume, tuning and settings
* FM Radio with digital tuning, RDS Radio Data System and memorising stations
* Hookup to Home Audio system and/or speakers

AVAILABLE FUNCTIONS

A dedicated server supplies an up-to-date list of all free online IP radio stations available, organised by genre and country of origin. When switched on, the apparatus searches for LAN or WiFi connectivity and automatically connects to the service server to download the up-dated list.

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS

The apparatus? technical specifications are:

* Embedded processor and Harddisk of 160GB minimum
* Linux operating system or equivelent (MicroSoft? uuuhh?? nope)
* Alphanumeric Display or LCD screen
* FM Radio with RDS and DAB
* LAN RJ45 Connector or WiFi input
* Standard IEEE 802.11b/g
* USB Port and/or all kind of HDMI, glass fiber ports for future use
* External headphones/amplifier facilities
* External power supply.
* Remote control unit maybe with the same Alphanumeric Display or
small LCD screen

What am I forgetting? hihihihi :^)

Please add your opinion, thought and such.

Greets, CER07

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In search for a IP data/internet radio receiver/tuner for HA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In search for a IP data/internet radio receiver/tuner for HA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you are making this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 11:16 PM PDT

That looks to be something you could get a grad student to make for you. The market for that is 1 person (as of today) so your best bet is to find someone to make such a thing for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Duhhh!
by Cer07 / September 1, 2008 10:21 PM PDT

>That looks to be something you could get a grad student to make for >you. The market for that is 1 person (as of today) so your best bet is >to find someone to make such a thing for you.
>Bob

Why do you say this Bob? Elaborate please. I understand your comment as being lame as if such product is needless to produce/have. You know, back in the 70's big corporate CEO's said such things along the same lines that a home computer was also a stupid idea to produce/have. CER07

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2008 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Duhhh!

I have worked in product development for a few decades. I can see where you may want such a thing, but look over the world and can you find anything close? Since it's not made your cheap exit is to get a grad student to help do this.

I'm sharing exactly how we crafted an all power over ethernet surveillance system about 10 years ago since the market for such was non-existent and we couldn't get the millions to R&D.

And I feel you may not find such a student if you use the S word.
Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by Cer07 / September 2, 2008 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.

Yes I can Bob. Stand-alone units like a alarmclock style box or something.I can even name brands but the technology is b to c class, so I won't. Plug in a data cable from modem or the wifi version and the internet radio is a fact. Through just one speaker. I'm not planning anything with a grad student. I seek just a tuner for my home HiFi system so I can bypass the local FM stations and the crap they airplay.

Hey great to read about your product development career. I have worked with DEC (digital equipment corp) as from back in the 70's here in Europe working with all digitally based stuff. CER07

Collapse -
Internet Radio that can be connected to Hi Fi Receiver
by dejola / September 29, 2009 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

I have a Livio Internet Radio that has a connector that allows its output to be played through a sterio receiver.

Collapse -
Livio is nice, but...
by Pepe7 / September 30, 2009 12:45 AM PDT

...does not really do what the OP requires.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Realistic expectations
by Pepe7 / September 30, 2009 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

I think you have been out of the loop too long. You won't find a device like that unless you make it yourself, as Bob has suggested.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.