Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

In regards to...Wiped out "My Documents"

A question that was posted by zstar5000 on 1/9/07...Just wondering how does this happen? All the security software people are paying for and with all the precautions...things like this still happen. If your not opening unknown email, have spyware, phishing tools and virus protection, why or how do you still end up with problems? Things overtaking your computer and Hackers stealing your idenity? There's one area of concern for me, I use a DSL connection to the internet but my modem does not have a router. Is this dangerous? I don't understand how they work. I have contacted Verizon and they told me it would cost me a little over $100.00 to get a modem with a router. For the past 3 and a half years I guess I lucky without it.
Thks for your comments///

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In regards to...Wiped out "My Documents"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In regards to...Wiped out "My Documents"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My view is a simple one.

In reply to: In regards to...Wiped out "My Documents"

Most don't backup what they can't lose. Many still "preview" email and think that is not the same as opening an email. Still more are using P2P applications and are blissfully unaware of the dangers. A recent poster was using a P2P application but was a newbie and believed someone that there was no danger and that the application was not P2P since they paid for it.

-> Here's a post I made with another view that some take. I call it the "Magic Shield" post.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=166246&messageID=1841368#1841368

Bob

Collapse -
Lucky without it

I have contacted Verizon and they told me it would cost me a little over $100.00 to get a modem with a router. For the past 3 and a half years I guess I lucky without it.

Modem and router combined are fairly new and therefore expensive.

You can buy just a router with firewall for less than $50.00.

The connection would go from source>modem>router>PC.

You have not mentioned your O/S.

If it is Windows XP and you have d/l SP-2 it too has a firewall that can be activated.

Now with router between your PC and the Net and Windows firewall activated, you are relatively safe.

As Robert says if you have the preview pane activated you can get automatically infected. So take it out.

Also McAffee, another AV product has a free 'site advisor' available.

If you d/l that, it will attach to your browser and will warn you if a site is questionable.

'Course if you insist on accessing it, all the firewalls in the world will become ineffective.
Collapse -
KathyJean, do you know how much little space in MyDocs?

One floppy has 100 pages on it with room to spare for genealogy. Have 6 others.
The one that won't fit is hpHOSTS.txt that resides in My Documents for it has HOSTS on it but it is 159KB. May have to split it into 2.

Collapse -
In regards to...Wiped out "My Documents".

A question that was posted by zstar5000 on 1/9/07...Just wondering how does this happen? All the security software people are paying for and with all the precautions...things like this still happen. If your not opening unknown email, have spyware, phishing tools, a firewall, and virus protection, why or how do you still end up with problems? Things overtaking your computer and Hackers stealing your idenity? There's one area of concern for me, I use a DSL connection to the internet but my modem does not have a router. Is this dangerous? I don't understand how they work. I have contacted Verizon and they told me it would cost me a little over $100.00 to get a modem with a router. For the past 3 and a half years I guess I waslucky without it.
My OS is XP Home, and 80% of the time I use MSN Browser and the email service that comes with it. I do use IE6 browser as well along with Google search engine and it's tool bar.
Thks for your comments///

Collapse -
Kathy -- re Verizon modem.

In reply to: In regards to...Wiped out "My Documents".

>>I have contacted Verizon and they told me it would cost me a little over $100.00 to get a modem with a router.

Verizon and DSL -- In my area of Southern CA, if you are an existing Verizon DSL customer, your modem with a router costs in the low to mid-forty dollars. If you plan to become a customer and make a lot of noise, your modem can be free. This is based on when I was a new customer 16 months ago and my modem/router was free and on a new modem very recently purchased for an existing customer on another computer.

Miki

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.