Msimn has caused an error in DIRECTDB.DLL
Msimn will now close.
If you continue to experience this problem
try restarting your computer.

Of course, I have tried that and it still is
happening.

Also after resarting I get the message in that
identity that Outlook Express did not shut down
properly the last time you viewed a message.

Can anyone offer guidance. I sure do not want to
lose my files on this identity but since I cannot
forward the files to another email box I am in
trouble.

Mark Johnson

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In outlook express I get Msimn causing error in DIRECTDB.DLL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In outlook express I get Msimn causing error in DIRECTDB.DLL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MSIMN has caused an error
by vhirsch / May 6, 2005 5:59 AM PDT

Hi Mark,

Has your problem been solved and if so, how? I have the same difficulty with Outlook Express 6 and ME, with a single mailbox. I would appreciate any direction.
Thanks,
Victor Hirsch

Collapse -
Outlook express error
by tvonier / May 24, 2005 3:37 AM PDT

I am running windows 98 with the same error have you resolved you problem yet if so what was the fix?

Collapse -
Try this.
by caktus / May 27, 2005 5:01 PM PDT

The problem may be that an Outlook Express folder is way overloaded and may be corrupted.

A possible solution is to clean out your e-mail folders. Delete e-mails you do not need, then delete everything in the Deleted Items folder.

Next, save messages you want to keep in a non-OE folder on your hard drive. To do that, open e-mails you want to save. Click on File/Save As, and save to your chosen folder.

Then Compact your folders. First, under File, click on Work Offline. Then, also in File, click on Folder and then Compact All Folders.

Turn Work Offline off when you are done.

You might also check out Microsoft Knowledge Base article 233264.
I would do so only as a last resort, because deleting a .dbx file cited in that article can cause problems.

Collapse -
Here's what I did
by PageRox / May 31, 2005 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

I started to save, but realized my 'inbox' and 'sent items' folder were very full, and I was finding I could not delete them, or anything in them.

I was getting multiple msgs, AND the 'DIRECTDB.DLL' error.

So, I saved some stuff I wanted from my inbox, and went into the C drive>Windows>Application Data>OE>Identities> and found MY identity and deleted the inbox & sent items' .dbx files.

Then I compacted my folders and voila--I have Email again! :-D

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it worked out.
by caktus / May 31, 2005 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's what I did
Collapse -
(NT) (NT)
Collapse -
How did you fix?

I am having the same issue with my outlook Express. How did you get it fixed?

Collapse -
How did you fix?

I am having the same issue with my outlook Express. How did you get it fixed?
My email is( sales@mascotsandcostumes.com )

Collapse -
I ran a sys restore from the disk!
by PageRox / June 27, 2005 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: How did you fix?

And even after I did that, I was still coming up with a nasty Trojan that I finally got to just circulate around in my computer. It was a sys file, so not easilly deleted. I tried to make a dummy folder for it, and then my son got the bright idea to go into safe mode and delete that folder (ever have 'area.exe' on your computer? UGH!) and THEN create the dummy folder--since then no probs with area!

But honestly I don't know what I did to stop the OE 'msmin' message from appearing--it comes up from time to time but not as mucn now.....I think its just because I'm running MS's ******* stepchild of an OS, Windows Me!!!!! Silly

Good luck and sorry it took so long for me to reply!

Collapse -
One or several DBX files were corrupted.
by lgmiki / July 10, 2005 7:33 PM PDT

I also came across this problem once. It turned out that this message appeared if one or several DBX files were corrupted. Outlook Express stores messages in these files, each folders corresponds to one file.
If there are no important messages in the folder, you can just delete the corresponding DBX file. Next time OE is started, it will create the deleted file again (of course, it will be empty).
If there are messages important to you in this folder, you should use a special program. I used Repair Tool for Outlook Express and it recovered all my messages (more than 4000), the only thing was that there were some duplicates.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?