Video Cameras forum

General discussion

In need of suggestions for editing...

Right now, I am putting together a video for my friend's daughter's graduation and am wondering what types of transitions or audio effects you like for this type of video? Do you use fancy flipping transitions or simple fading? Also, I am trying to find a way on Sony Vegas Studio how I can cut out background noise (i.e. people talking, coughing, etc.) so I can hear the subject clearly. (I know an external mic should have been used, but...) Thanks for your suggestions!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In need of suggestions for editing...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In need of suggestions for editing...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I try to emulate what I see

In reply to: In need of suggestions for editing...

on TV, movies... basically, typically what professionals do. Hard cuts, fade-in/fade-out, dissolves.

In Music videos, a *long* clip is maybe 2-3 seconds.

Sorry - can't help you with Vegas on the audio portion... other than, if the coughing/talking is not during a key part of what might be important to your friend (or friend's daughter), have a music sound track - just kill the background noise. If there is dialog you want, fade the music out and bring the dialog in... and when done, fade the dialog and bring the music back.

If you want a long speech that has all the background noise, that *could* be a challenge. You will need to strip the audio out, bring it into an audio manipulation application (I have used [open source] Audacity and SoundTrack Pro [Mac only]). The crowd noise is not so tough, (take a sample and filter) but the coughs can get tedious because I have found you need to work them individually.

If you are concerned about music royalties/copyright violation issues, there are a couple of royalty free sites out there - I've used www.incompetch.com ...

Collapse -
I was thinking of trying Audacity...

In reply to: I try to emulate what I see

It's for Windows also and i already ahve tried using it for other audio tasks. Could you give me some tips with Audacity about how to use the filter you were talking about to remove background noise and such? Thanks.

P.S. In case you haven't noticed, I'm sort of new to the detailed audio editing stuff. Happy

Collapse -
I need to get to my Mac to check,

In reply to: I was thinking of trying Audacity...

but there is a "noise reduction" filter that lets you pick a sample of the noise you want to remove and then apply that criteria to other parts of the audio track. It can get tedious as well. You also need to select whether you want it to apply the filter a lot or only a little. I would not recommend selecting the whole audio passage as that will run over the speaker's voice and cause that voice to sound really odd. SoundTrack Pro does this really well (but it is part of the Apple FinalCut Studio Suite and not available in a Windows version - Apologies for not having an equivalent Windows audio application to recommend).

For coughs and such (which are very short duration spikes), if you magnify the audio where you can see every detail of the audio wave, when you locate the cough, manually pull the cough's level down... again, this can get tedious. You can also consider using the high-pass filter on just that cough area... If the cough is while someone is speaking - well, lets say I have not been successful at getting rid of the cough while keeping the speaking subject's voice OK...

I would not recommend getting rid of all the background noise, though - it would not sound natural...

Collapse -
Keep it simple - IMO

hey whiz...
In the few slideshow that I've put together, I've used a maximum of 5 transitions (depending on the lenght of the video). I've seen some videos where they use every transition in the book and for me that is way over the top, and actually takes away from the content. Just becasue you can do it doesn't mean you should.

I like to group my transistions with the slide or video content... like doing 4 fade transitions, as you begin the graduation, then doing 5 wipe transitions, as the graduation starts, etc. I personally think all the spins, mirrors and fancy transitions are more distracting than they are worth - IMO the transition should be nice, not noticed, viewers should remember the content not the transitions. Just my 2cents.

Collapse -
YES!!!

In reply to: Keep it simple - IMO

"Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should."

"all the spins, mirrors and fancy transitions are more distracting than they are worth"

"the transition should be nice, not noticed, viewers should remember the content not the transitions"

Collapse -
Thanks for that.

In reply to: Keep it simple - IMO

I guess I haven't really been paying attention to what they use in the movies... Happy

Collapse -
One way to do this if the extraneous noise is isolated.

Caveate: I will describe steps in Vegas. I don't know if the Studio version supports this.

1. Find a section where the audio is simple background sound.
2. Copy this section into a seperate clip. The trimmer can do this.
3. Add a volume envelope to the main audio track.
4. Locate a section where you want to mute undesired sound.
5. Place the copied clip into an audio track directly below the main track so you can see how they align. Expand the tracks if necessary to see more detail.
6. Add a volume envelope to the track added in step 4, and pull the volume down to minus infinity (muted).
7. Position the time line indicator to a point just prior to the bad section. Double click both envelopes.
8. Do the same thing after the bad section.
9. Double click two points on both envelopes within the bad section.
10. Double clicking should have added little square icons to the envelopes. Click the inner squares on the main envelope, and drag both squares down to the bottom of the track (minus infinity).
11. Double click the inner squares on the replacement track. The volume should pop to '0' (normal volume).
12. The noisy section should now be muted, and covered by normal background sound. Adjust, by dragging, the little squares until you cannot hear the transition. Headphones are recommended when working with audio in this fashion.

It's not as hard as it sounds once you grasp the concept.

If bad sound is overlayed on good sound, and the good sound must be retained, you are probably SOL. However, various equalizers can be tried to see if the 'bad' sound can be isolated and reduced.

Full Vegas has a variety of equalizers, noise gates, etc. that can be used to try to eliminate undesired sound. It also now includes a noise reduction module that is almost certainly not in the Studio version.

HTH.

Collapse -
Oops. Noise Reduction is in Sound Forge, not Vegas.

In reply to: One way to do this if the extraneous noise is isolated.

The two work together as one unit, so I sometimes forget.

BTW, the movies and TV usually use simple cuts rather than transitions. Transitions are usually used only when you are trying to hide a jump cut. Keep transitions to a minimum. They get old real fast especially when you use more than one type. Avoid jumps in the image from clip to clip, and, if the action continues across clips, it should be smooth and consistent. If a character is walking right, they should continue walking right.

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: One way to do this if the extraneous noise is isolated.

That might just work! I'll give it a try!

Collapse -
on editing...

In reply to: Thanks!

remember that the audio can sometimes sync with the speaker and other times be over video of something different...

Let's say the graduation ceremony speaker is talking and the camera is on that person and they refer to the graduating class - if you have video of the class, you can cut to that while the speaker continues to drone on... or if they say something about their being young adults, perhaps you can cut to a photo of your friend's daughter from 1st grade or something like that...

Collapse -
Great ideas!

In reply to: on editing...

I already have a pretty nice intro and conclusion planned like that although I never would have thought to put it in the middle! Thanks!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!