Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

In Need Of Help ASAP On Upgrading My PC

by waweng911 / November 19, 2010 7:07 PM PST

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 and my mobo is Intel DQ965GF. I wan to upgrade for a Core 2 Quad Q6600 or Q6700 processor. But I bump into EBay and found a a Core 2 Extreme X6800 for $215 and Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 for $288! I think the prices are very reasonable. I just want to ask what is best for my mobo? Is Core 2 Extreme X6800 better than Core 2 Quad Q6600 or Q6700? Or Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 worth to buy? Please help me on this ASAP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In Need Of Help ASAP On Upgrading My PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In Need Of Help ASAP On Upgrading My PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why ASAP?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 12:33 AM PST

What goes wrong if it takes a week?

Can you post a link to specification page of your motherboard at intel.com. That gives info about compatibility of your motherboard with different processors. You wouldn't want to buy a processor that's incompatible.

There's no "best for a mobo". If it's compatible, it works. There's at most a "best for you". But you didn't tell anything about your needs.

So, assuming all these processors are compatible with your mobo, see what they say about them at tomshardware.com.

Kees

Collapse -
asap because....
by waweng911 / November 20, 2010 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Why ASAP?

asap because the seller on ebay is from US and i have friend there coming home this december, so to save money. yes, all the processors i mentioned are compatible and they are the best cpu's for my motherboard. So since all of them are compatible, which do you prefer most? i love fps games and i render videos everyday. i have Windows 7 Utimate 32bit and 4G DDR2 800 memory. so what you think?

Collapse -
Personally I would go for the QX6700 ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 20, 2010 5:21 AM PST

but then I know how I use my computers and what I need from them.

These are the processors compatible with your board and shows you the minimum BIOS you need on the board to support the processor as well as the board revision needed -
http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dq965gf

Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4 GHz with a 2 MB cache and 800 MHz bus
Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz with a 8 MB cache and 1066 MHz bus
Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 GHz with a 8 MB cache and 1066 MHz bus
Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93 GHz with a 4 MB cache and 1066 MHz bus
Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 2.93 GHz with a 8 MB cache and 1066 MHz bus

There you can see the various specs BUT be aware that if the rest of your components (such as OS, Memory, Hard Drive, and graphics card) are not a good match even the best processor will not perform as well as it could.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?