Laptops forum

General discussion

In love with Asus UL50VT, but only 4gb?!?!

by Lovamelin / November 14, 2010 7:55 AM PST

I was wanting some suggestions for alternative to this model. Asus has a line of UL (ultra low voltage) laptops that get astounding battery life yet still have great performance. Some models (such as the UL50VT) also have independent graphics cards for even better performance. The only down side, and I mean only, is the limitation of max 4gb memory. I was wondering if there are any laptops out there around this size (13-15) that have good battery life, although I don't necessarily need a ULV processor, and have the ability to go to 8gb memory. I've searched pretty thoroughly but haven't really come up with much yet. Any suggestions would be helpful, and don't suggest Apple. I'm not paying for something that Asus makes better for half the price. THanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In love with Asus UL50VT, but only 4gb?!?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In love with Asus UL50VT, but only 4gb?!?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 8:43 AM PST

I have a smaller laptop with 2GB running Windows 7 fine. Why do you need more than double what I found to run 7 OK?

Collapse -
How short sighted
by Lovamelin / November 14, 2010 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: Only?

The amount of memory has NOTHING to do with running Windows 7. I do graphics work which is why the amount of memory and dedicated video memory is important. While 4gb runs everything I have now pretty admirably I try to buy my technology with foresight. 8gb is becoming a common max out size on laptops now. While 4gb is sufficient for now I want the option to expand when desired so I can run things like Adobe CS5 or other memory intensive graphic or video editing programs. While these programs run fine now newer versions will run better with even larger amounts of memory. Plus I feel if I buy a laptop that can expand to 8gb whenever desired I'm also anticipating technology trends and not buying a laptop that may not be able to keep up with the best graphic or video software in a couple years.

Collapse -
Let me share.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 12:57 PM PST
In reply to: How short sighted

A friend bumped their 4GB laptop to 8GB and Photoshop didn't speed up. I think the real bottleneck is the CPU. Where the GPU comes into play is gaming and maybe twirling around a 3D image.

I like the usual i5 based laptops with switchable graphics. That's the fast ones without baking your lap.

Collapse -
by Lovamelin / November 15, 2010 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Let me share.

I suppose it you solely run photoshop it doesn't affect much. But memory does greatly affect your ability to multitask. That being said a good cpu is helpful, and I like the i5 processors and I do like being able to turn off and on the dedicated graphics. But ultimately I still posted a question on this board. I want to know if anyone has valid suggestions for a decent battery life 8gb max laptop. So hopefully your or someone still has some suggestions on that. Thanks.

Collapse -
I wish I saw that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2010 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Perhaps

We've tried this on his laptop and from 4 to 8GB has done nothing for speed even for XP Mode operations.

Payback looks to be minimal for this upgrade.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?