General discussion

In furtherance (!?) of our shared affection for Maryland,

Our Maryland, I have a question for James D. Did you ever see Brooksie play Third at Memorial? The O's moved to Baltimore when I was 6, changing their name (thank Heaven) from that permanent straight line, The St. Louis Browns, to our state bird, without visibly improving their level of play. but as things improved in the 60's and Dad could afford good seats or cadge the company box, we'd sit on the Third base side and I'd just stare at the Messers Robinson, one on Third and the other in the Outfield. To be honest it was Brooks that I watched most. I never saw a man who could dive, stretch, reach, spear a ball and then get back on his feet quick enough to throw somebody out at First. Every part of the play was perfection, the catch, the almost magical pop onto his feet (or occasionally his knees) and then that perfect throw.

I'm not the kind of baseball fanatic that my friend Michael here is, but I was completely bewitched by Brooks and his Magic Glove. I feel like I had the opportunity to see true greatness. Of course during the Oriole decade, I was in bloody Ann Arbor (well ... very nice Ann Arbor, really) but I only saw the O's on the TV, and not a big one either. At least I had the Ark, and Schoolkids records to assuage the pain.

Rob

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: In furtherance (!?) of our shared affection for Maryland,
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: In furtherance (!?) of our shared affection for Maryland,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I've never been to a game

I don't like crowds and too much noise, very selective on attending any events that involve both. My older children have attended some games there.

- Collapse -
I understand, I'm that way myself now. But if I had a time

machine, I'd take you to a quiet game with some really good plays.

Rob

CNET Forums