HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

In Ceiling speakers???

by Kingdaddy1773 / March 14, 2007 4:40 AM PDT

Hello all...I'm kind of a noob so please forgive.

Moving into a new house with a 20' by 18' living room.

I have 3 Cambridge Soundowrks Newton Series MC300 speakers for my fronts...left, right and center.

I need some decent In ceiling rears(2), but I really don't want to spend a ton of money...

Any ideas? Please stick to under $300 for the pair.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In Ceiling speakers???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In Ceiling speakers???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some limitations of laws of physics work against in-ceiling
by NM_Bill / March 14, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: In Ceiling speakers???

speaker installation no matter how attractive the hiding away of busy clutter for a high WAF (wife approval factor.)

Due to demand nearly all major speaker manufacturers offer speakers for in-wall & in-ceiling installation.
What controls perormance is that you get what you pay for. Some cheapie brands speakers would seem to be better used for a PA system rather than pleasing sound.

You are on the low end of budget for what you seem to want. Hope you could consider more. Well, for goodness sake, go listen to them as installed in a showroom. Don't take the risk of a pig in a poke.

You didn't mention ceiling height. I have an open floor plan, 12' ceiling adjoining space wirth 9' ceiling, giving me a vertical surface where I mounted my rears with a downward tilt.

Collapse -
High Wife Approval Rating
by Kingdaddy1773 / March 14, 2007 5:42 AM PDT

We're building the house and having it pre-wired so I can place them anywhere.

The ceiling height is 10', and I suppose I can check on them prewiring into the cutout that goes into the kitchen. That height is 7' I think.

But what about the in ceilings with the directional tweeters?

Our main purpose will be for TV and Movie watching, with music being not as important.

Thanks...

Collapse -
Celling speakers aim the sound straight Down!!!!!
by jcrobso / March 14, 2007 7:26 AM PDT

If your sitting under them then you hear the highs. John

Collapse -
Ceiling Speakers do WHAT?!?
by Kingdaddy1773 / March 14, 2007 12:38 PM PDT

No doy.

I understand they aim straight down...however many sites say you can buy the ones where you can "aim" the tweaker at an angle.

As is, the speakers will be mainly over the top of the sofas...

I'm not a huge audiofile and can't afford to spend $600 on rear speakers, especially if their in the ceiling.

So...back to my original question...

Anyone?

And yes, I'm bringing NO DOY back!!!

LOL, and thanks.

Collapse -
JAMO SPEAKERS (DANISH) MAKES SOME VERY GOOD CEILING
by Riverledge / March 14, 2007 1:21 PM PDT

MODELS. SEE http://www.jamo.com

Go to PRODUCTS>SPEAPERS>CUSTOM> KEVLAR, or Architectural

Dealer listings avail. on site. Also check out CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS, they make a line of in-ceiling speakers.

Collapse -
Thanks to all...
by Kingdaddy1773 / March 15, 2007 6:32 AM PDT

Thanks for the Polk recommendation.

Upon a little research I decided on the Polk RC80I in ceilings.

There are a ton of great consumer reviews on the net, and they sound like a great option for what I want.

Circuit City has them for $329

Crutchfield for $249

I got them for $140 TOTAL on Ebay

Very Niiice!

Look for more postings from me...I'm goona need a new receiver for all of my new toys...

Hiatchi 42" Plasma

Cambridge MC300's for fronts and center

Polk RC80I for rear

A Frankenstein of a system but I think it'll be great for movies and light music listening...

Collapse -
Whoops...
by Kingdaddy1773 / March 15, 2007 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks to all...

The Polk recommendation came from another forum...

sorry!

Collapse -
Russound
by TomMariner / March 16, 2007 10:25 PM PDT

For the bucks it is tough to beat the Russound in-wall speakers. The in-ceiling speakers come in 6 and 8 inch varieties and are aimable. I have a variety of 8 inch and 6 inch wall and 6 inch ceiling and they are remarkable. I would, however, recommend the rectangular in-wall variety even for the ceiling because i like the sound from them even better than the ceiling ones. They are all designed to be mounted from the outside of a finished wall or ceiling (but you will have to get the speaker wire there somehow.)

I have them hooked to a Russound distribution amp which allows not only volume and tone control from the local pad (which fits in a normal switch box) but selects channels and takes an ir remote!

Russound has this silly policy of only selling to home automation installers, but I found SmartHomeUSA.com that evidently is a recognized dealer for them. You have to speak with their technical experts to make the sale, but you probably would want to listen to their advice anyway.

I have them for both my home theater and for my in-room background system and friends mouths always drop when they hear them.

Collapse -
In Ceiling Speakers
by rebroker2006 / March 17, 2007 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Russound

I installed 24 in ceiling speakers. All made by speakercraft. They have more affordable ones called Proficient Audio Speakers. I believe the model I purchased were the CC-645's I am really happy with them. I have had them for about 8 months now. Just dont buy the dual stereo speaker CC-600TT(one speaker in a room) as I dont recommend them. If I could do the washrooms over again, I would put two speakers in. The 645's have pivotal tweeters but I dont think it really made a difference...just place them properly (get professional help) and you will be fine...The difference is the warranty where Proficient is 10 years and Speakercraft is lifetime....

thanks

Collapse -
you will find
by woodygg / March 23, 2007 5:22 AM PDT

people recommend only what they have been exposed to (and usually purchased) - even though they've only heard one or two brands. you'll probably be happy with about anything of half way decent quality, especially given they're only side/rears.

Collapse -
SEEMS TO ME, THAT SINCE YOU ALREADY HAVE A SET-UP...........
by Riverledge / March 23, 2007 7:05 AM PDT

FROM CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS, I would definately try to audition their line of ceiling and wall speakers. Don't know where you live (we here in MASS, have an advantage.)
Excellent speakers also available from Polk and Jamo.

best shopping, river.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.