Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

In case you're wondering, 'cause I was. . .

by Coryphaeus / August 19, 2007 12:33 AM PDT

Is there really any speed difference between a standard 100 Mb/s LAN and a Gigabit LAN? Since I am fortunate enough to have just installed a Linksys WRT350N Gb router, I tested it. Connected to the router are an IBM ThinkCentre with Gb on board NIC, a home built with a PCI Gb NIC, and an IBM R-40 laptop with a 10/100 on board NIC.

Single file transferred - 690 MB movie.

Speed over the 100 Mb - 1 minute 45 seconds
Speed over the Gb - 50 seconds (this should have been under one second)

Yep, it's faster, but neither approach their advertised speeds. Naturally.

Machines specs:

Thinkcentre - 3 GHz P-4 HT, Seagate 7200 RPM 80 Gig HD perpendicular recording, 1 Gig RAM.

Home built - 2 GHZ AMD, Maxtor 7200 RPM 60 Gig HD, 1 Gig RAM.

IBM R-40 laptop - 2.2 GHz P-3 moble, 40 Gig HD, 1 Gig RAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: In case you're wondering, 'cause I was. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: In case you're wondering, 'cause I was. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I do that test but on the copy I ....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2007 4:49 AM PDT

I also use FTP to test the speed since windows file sharing is somewhat sluggish.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Never tried that, how do you do it?
by Coryphaeus / August 19, 2007 6:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Look up Filezilla.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2007 6:42 AM PDT

Usually a snap to install and use. Then you get an idea of the potential speed.

Bob

Collapse -
How do you like your WRT350N?
by y0Lorenzo / August 20, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

I was sold on purchasing it because of the Storage Link and uPnP mediaserver features.

I ended up choosing the D-Link DIR-655. I upgraded from a Linksys WRT54G. I trusted cNets review which said it had the fastest throughput of all the major hitters. All of the wireless adapters in our house are G, but I plan on migrating to N slowly. The D-Link has improved the range and stability of connections. For internet, G is great, for data transfers I generally plug in with 10/100s but I've been able to burn a few DVDs with a wireless connection in the laptop pulling the files from a plugged in desktop.

I installed a Gb PCI adapter in my HP with the idea that simultaneous network tasks would run much smoother.

One improvement from the WRT54G is that, I can stream video with WMP11 wirelessly now to a D-Link DSM-510. Before, the DSM (on the other side of the house) would choke if "connected" to the network wirelessly.

I now use run DD-WRT on Linksys WRT54Gv7 and use it as a wireless "client bridge."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!