Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Improving notebook experience

Hi everybody, I have a few extremely unrelated questions about my computer that I was hoping the great power of the internet might help me with.

1. I have an HP Pavilion 9000z notebook running XP Home Edition that I bought in September of 2006. I know it has a second hard drive bay that I can use and I've been wanting to beef up my storage for a while; how can I find out what kind of hard drive I can fit in it? Am I limited in my RPM options?

2. Two parter here. I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun medium sized tablet for doodling and basic computer navigation. First question, I often get mistranslated text because the microsoft language bar seems to only do word and not letter recognition. Are there drivers and/or software options to enhance handwriting recognition so I don't have to swap between the keyboard and tablet so often? Also, are there any good simple intuitive programs for drawing that work well with the bamboo? I feel very limited just using only MS Paint.

3. Keeping a clean computer has always been important to me, but I find that so many programs are insidious and impossible to get rid of (Windows Messenger, I'm looking at you). My issue is that the process tree of the task manager and the startup selector in msconfig give no kind of layman's information on what the programs are, so I'm never sure what I'm safe turning on/off. Also, I find that often uninstall and add/remove program options for things like Windows Messenger or itunes doesn't always get rid of all the programs information on the hard drive. So I guess what I'm saying is, is there a simple (or somewhat easy to learn way) to keep my computers hard drive, start up, and processes free of junk?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Improving notebook experience
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Improving notebook experience
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two hard drives . . .

In reply to: Improving notebook experience

1. I don't see space for two hard drives http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01311536.pdf Unless you're talking about a hot swappable drive that goes in place of the optical drive. Drive availability is on page 3-22.

3. To see startup programs in layman's terms, download and install Codestuff Starter. To remove Messenger you can do it manually in Control Panel, Add/Remove, and Remove Windows components. Or you can visit my site below. Go to the Free Software link and download and run Messenger Uninstall. To remove remnants, Google Windows Install Cleanup.

Wayne (IBM freak - 6)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
My mini-Schnauzer is smarter than your honor student.

Collapse -
Download and run HDTune V2.55...link below

In reply to: Improving notebook experience

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

It will give you enough info to identify the current HDD manufacturer, series and model number. From there you can check the HDD mfgs website to identify the existing HDD and the HDD interface.

Only issues...you'll have to buy an HDD bracket/caddy for the 2nd HDD and perhaps a different hard drive bay cover. Only the primary hard drive cover is ventilated in any way...the 2nd HDD bay is not. I picked up an HDD bracket/caddy on eBay but haven't had time to research the 2nd HDD bay ventilation issue for system (HP laptops with two internal HDDs). Plenty of laptop HDD choices, IDE and SATA, at Newegg....some up to 320GB. While I'd normally choose a 7,200 RPM HDD, I'm a little leery in this situation as they spin faster and most likely run hotter and perhaps use more current thus shortening use while running off on the battery.

Let us know what you find out. Over to you.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.