PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Improve video performance on an old PC

I recently bought a 20" flat panel and I want to improve my video performance.

These are the specs on my PC:
Pentium III 800 MHz
512 MB SDRAM 100 MHz
NVidia GeForce DDR 64 MB
AGP 1X/2X/4X

Would I see any noticeable improvement if I just added a mid-level video card like the ATI Radeon 9600 128 MB w/ DVI out or would the CPU/RAM require upgrading as well?

Thanks is advance,
P|<

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Improve video performance on an old PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Improve video performance on an old PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Improve video performance on an old PC

In reply to: Improve video performance on an old PC

By video performance, do you mean gaming (I think not with a 800 mhz system)? Upgrading a video card for better "video-quality" is almost useless, unless your current video card doesn't support your monitors' native resolution.

You may get more options such as brightness controls or such, but that won't warrent the money for a new card.

Collapse -

It's a marriage arrangement, that they have to be in par with each other for optimum output. If you can find a Geforce with increased ram of 128 or better of the same type video card, that's your best chance. YES, you will need to increase the system speed(cpu) to keep up with one of the newer cards. However, you can throttle down a new video card with its setup s/w for a less demanding but certainly better than old output. Check their support website for details. Also, newer AGP video may outstrip(added connection) the power supply as now they require 30W+ where as older units are 20-25W range, take that into condiration.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -

Before I opened my wallet I would look into free stuff like finding the proper mobo and vid drivers that mated to the OS I was using and gave me the best perf.

Don't assume the newest drivers are best, you must test.

I don't know what type of vid perf your looking for but I suspect that 800cpu and 100memory are going to be a problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.