The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Impressions of the video podcast taping

by Vance14 / April 4, 2008 2:27 PM PDT

I just got done listening to 696, where the guys taped the audio podcast in front of video cameras as a trial run for weekly video podcasts. What I noticed was that Jamoto, collectively, seemed a bit tentative and even a bit awkward. Maybe just different surroundings, but I think it had to do with being (at least subconsciously) aware of being on video (even more so than u-stream). It was just not as natural and flowing.

I think that will go away quickly, though, as they get used to it. Just my two cents.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Impressions of the video podcast taping
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Impressions of the video podcast taping
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We've been asking for this for years!!!
by robstak / April 5, 2008 2:26 AM PDT

Remember snakes on a plane premiere??? Silly

Collapse -
personally i don't want video
by mementh / April 5, 2008 6:58 AM PDT

unless they do it just once a week or such, for two reasons, 1 too much data, and two i can't watch while i am driving.. I prefere to listen to this and people can still do the live stream, but a video version i think will break the shows format Sad

Collapse -
A third reason
by Vance14 / April 5, 2008 7:25 AM PDT

I have watched Tom and Molly and even Veronica on their various video gigs and they are professional and very talented in that area. But there is something VERY different between their great performances on video and their equally entertaining, but much more casual and "real", audio-only content. I much prefer the latter.

As has been discussed many times in the media, there is an intimacy in audio that you do not get in video.

Collapse -
As long as it is in a seperate feed...
by paintguru / April 5, 2008 12:31 PM PDT

...then I'm happy, as I also don't want a video automatically sent to me. If I feel the need to see the video, I will dl it from the homepage.

Collapse -
No to video as well
by tango_fox1 / April 5, 2008 1:46 PM PDT

I don't necessarily hate the concept of video, but as a more practical consideration, I'm on dial-up STILL and if it takes me nearly three (3) hours to download an AUDIO podcast I can hardly Imagine how long it will take to download a video PODCAST.

Collapse -
yea, once a week is ok
by robstak / April 6, 2008 1:44 PM PDT

i was just reminding everyone of the previous sentiment expressed on this forum for the past many months Wink

Collapse -
Love the audio, not sure about video
by DaveBinM / April 6, 2008 12:54 PM PDT

Yeah, I thought it just didn't flow quite as well, and Jason seemed really quiet. Also, if this was done as a "technical rehearsal" was Jason producing still, and being a host? I love hearing Jason's inputs, but can you imagine Jason sitting/standing in a studio with Tom and Molly with a mixing desk in front of him? Plus, I've got metered bandwidth, and with only 5GB to use for up and down traffic, video podcasts are pushing it for me. And I love the craziness and improv. things that go on in the audio studio.

Collapse -
Usability
by horsenbuggy / April 9, 2008 10:42 PM PDT

For me it's about usability. I have no way to fit video podcasts into my schedule. I can load up my ipod and listen to audio podcasts all day - in the car, while doing busy work in the office, while grocery shopping, etc. But I can't just sit and watch a video cast any time I want. There are a ton of video podcasts out there that I already can't subscribe to. It would be a shame for me to have to drop BOL if they were to go completely video-only. Even once a week means that I'll miss a whole episode of interesting news. I really hope they supply an audio version of the video podcast - Andy Rooney does. (Seriously.) I know I'll miss out on some of the details by not seeing the moving pictures, but I can handle that.

Collapse -
Don't panic guys!
by JohnTheTechGuy / April 9, 2008 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Usability

All the good video podcasts stay true to their 'audio only' listeners and provide an alternate 'audio only' feed... Diggnation, DL.TV etc.

Relax.

I too am bound to audio without the time to spend on video. I've been listening to the above podcasts as 'audio only' for two years.

(I must say though, I do need to check the video version of Diggnation online occasionally, because there's some stuff that you just HAVE to see.)

Collapse -
(NT) Oh Good
by tango_fox1 / April 10, 2008 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't panic guys!
Collapse -
I no can haz video at work! :(
by PortVista-190953130350169 / April 10, 2008 1:50 AM PDT

I listen at work. The BOL comes to me around 3 or 4 which is kind of late so I usually get the daily cast a day late. I don't watch video while I work, so that's a no on video. I listen to IT Conversations net cast sometimes and it's audio only, but the presenters show slides sometimes which I don't "hear" very well.

I also really hate when I click to read an article and CNET TV pops up with a zainy video talking down to me like I'm a baby, like that cheaply made Talk Soup show on TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!