General discussion

Important Notice RE: User Names

Feb 9, 2005 12:04PM PST

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Important Notice RE: User Names
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Important Notice RE: User Names
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's pretty neat
Feb 10, 2005 12:47AM PST

I'd been meaning to remove my last name too. Just did it and it updated all my past posts. Way cool.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, it works :)
Feb 10, 2005 3:35AM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) mark5019 to do the same; now known as mark :-)
Feb 10, 2005 4:18AM PST
- Collapse -
huh my names been mark5019
Feb 10, 2005 6:30AM PST

since ive been in zd net? what are you saying? ive never changed from mark5019
not like some people who are banned.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Oops- sorry, didn't see you standing there. :-)
Feb 10, 2005 8:39AM PST
- Collapse -
im still wondering
Feb 10, 2005 8:56AM PST

what you ment as ive allways been mark5019

- Collapse -
It was a joke:
Feb 10, 2005 2:28PM PST

The post I replied to was about some members dropping their last names from their userids. I pretended your last name was 5019.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) oh ok but my last names not 5019:)
Feb 10, 2005 4:04PM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) We know that MarkG :)
Feb 10, 2005 7:52PM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) its a much longer number hehe:)
Feb 10, 2005 10:47PM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) G=1000 so you could be mark1000
Feb 10, 2005 11:19PM PST
- Collapse -
Is this a guessing game?
Feb 10, 2005 11:40PM PST

G_ _ _ _ _ _

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nope
Feb 11, 2005 2:25AM PST
- Collapse -
OK, Because I'd have to disqualify myself
Feb 11, 2005 3:45AM PST

because I know the answer.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL!
Feb 11, 2005 3:36AM PST
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOLOL!
Feb 11, 2005 11:12AM PST
- Collapse -
I didn't know you were allowed to change
Feb 12, 2005 7:16AM PST

Does this mean that before the change becomes permanent; just for a bit of fun, I can change my name to Dave K and file a bunch of posts on what a great guy George Bush is.....Then change it to DaveE and post a bunch of messages on why he's such a bad person?

Not that I would of course Happy

-Steven

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) {giggle!} :-)
Feb 12, 2005 7:28AM PST
- Collapse -
well the former is true
Feb 12, 2005 8:11AM PST
Grin
- Collapse -
I double dare you :) LOL
Feb 12, 2005 9:20AM PST

I can see the two Dave's now! When did I SAY THAT?? LOL
Glenda

- Collapse -
LOL, though I doubt it would work.
Feb 13, 2005 12:37AM PST

However, on a serious note while noting you were having fun, there have been a couple of cases, intentional or not, where a new name appeared to be an old one, and caused some confusion.

When Clay became C1ay, there was some who were concerned someone was deliberately trying to appear to be Clay. In that case, it was a legitimate name change, not an attempt to confuse.

To the best of my understanding, this wouldn't prevent that, as far as signing up under a new identity completely, with new email address also.

However, the attempt is just to avoid confusion when someone decides to change 'just for variety' type of thing. Or perhaps in the worst case from deliberating changing a name only to confuse people.

BTW, this is all my personal impression, not official CNET explanation.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

- Collapse -
IMO ...
Feb 13, 2005 12:47AM PST

... this hasn't been an issue. I could tell pretty quickly that C1ay was Clay just by clicking on the member name and looking at the profile. I only wondered if my eyes were deceiving me. If I go change my ID to Roger, all my past posts get change to being written by Roger if you go back and open them, but they show up as Evie in Search.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
But search only works if you 'sign' in the text
Feb 13, 2005 9:51PM PST
- Collapse -
I meant ...
Feb 14, 2005 10:25AM PST

... Evie will still be shown as the User ID that I was using in the past, but Roger would be shown as the author of all posts made by me so long as I left that as my User ID.

Take Bob for example, this SE search shows Bob Gr as author. Open any one of the posts and the ID is crowsfoot.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
I can't believe
Feb 13, 2005 1:15PM PST

that no one has noticed that posts of "Lee Koo" have taken on a religious tinge lately.
Regards, "Doug" in New Mexico Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info