HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IMPORTANT!!! EVERYONE READ.

by hpjohn11 / November 22, 2005 1:54 AM PST

i have used Zone Alarm almost since they have started. Unfortunatly they have been bought by Check Point an Israeli Company. If you get a notice to update say no. They have added what I call a VIRUS OF THE WORST KIND!!! It says your computer has an error and won't let you get on the INTERNET! I have tried everything. Reformatting my disk, reinstalling windows and leaving Zone Alarm out and it still comes back. I have tried almost evey ANTIVIrus on the Internet plus almost every Spyware. I righclicked on it and Notepad came up and said that it has intwined itself in Bellsouth DSL Software so I can't get to the Internet. I reinstalled Bellsouth and for a short time I can get to the Internet like now. BE very careful. Bellsouth has a security suite that allows me to get to the Internet, But I can't go to more than one site and I have to Reboot. It also fouled up my Printer even with the Bellsouth Security Suite and I had to remove my printer and Rinstall it. CAUTION!!! I also deleted it out of the Registry and it came back!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IMPORTANT!!! EVERYONE READ.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IMPORTANT!!! EVERYONE READ.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If this is true,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 3:15 AM PST

then it is indeed very disturbing.

But I have two observations;

1] Zonelabs has an (unfortunate) history of making a mess of updates, and various customers have problems at some stage or other after an update.

2] It seems to me that if another company has purchased Zonelabs, (or the rights to the ZoneAlarm software), which would possibly have cost them many millions of dollars, would they risk their investment by planting a virus in the very next upgrade? That doesn't make sense to me.

However for me the prosecution is still gathering evidence and the jury is listening intensely.

Has anyone else had such or similar experiences with ZoneAlarm lately?

Has anyone read their forums to see if any problems have been mentioned?

Let us know, here, please.

Thanks,

Mark

Collapse -
Mark..
by jackintucson / November 22, 2005 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: If this is true,

The ZoneAlarm Suite v6 just to "Editor's Choice"...again.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Say again Jack?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: Mark..

Sorry, I didn't understand what you were getting at, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Sorry,
by jackintucson / November 23, 2005 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Say again Jack?

Should have said "took" Editor's Choice. ZA is still considered the best firewall out there. I have to agree, despite v6 (at least the original) being unstable if you upgraded v5 while it was still onboard.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Come to my resturant so I can kill you.
by eastwestmind / November 22, 2005 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: If this is true,

It's like poisoning my customer's food. If I ran a buisness like that, I wouldnt be in buisness for long.Logically there would be no reason for them to do this unless they want to loose all of their customer base intentionally.It seems a hacker penetrated your firewall and destroyed your connection by exploiting a previously allowed access port, thus using the automatic update to download it. It must be sophisticated to be undetectable but not undoable. Otherwise, you need to possibly get a new Cpu. Sorry

Collapse -
Wondering if the Sony rootkit
by TONI H / November 22, 2005 4:58 AM PST

is actually installed on your computer and compromised it for an outside intruder to penetrate?

TONI

Collapse -
Was this a notice in your E-MAIL?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 5:07 AM PST

If so, such notices are rampant with ploys to get people to download bogus updates.

-> Your story has us looking, but tell how you got this notice.

Bob

Collapse -
Part true. Israel company.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 5:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Part true. Israel company.
by jim2 / November 22, 2005 5:29 AM PST

just downloaded and installed 6.1.737.000 no problems as of now got it with thier update notice not email

Collapse -
True,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 7:19 AM PST

and in fact it seems Check Point Software Co purchased ZoneAlarm some while ago.

This statement extracted from the Company's Financial Report for the third quarter ending September 30 2005 says;

" During the quarter, we continued to upgrade products as part of the NGX platform launch. We strengthened our consumer presence by unveiling the highly anticipated ZoneAlarm

Collapse -
Hey Mark.
by eastwestmind / November 22, 2005 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: True,

I own Zone alarm myself and actually I have become concerned,not because of the software,but I belive my Sgtray.exe (sonic) is triyng to access the internet ALOT.
Now would it be possible for a keylogger,virus,trojan,etc.. to use a legitamate program as a vunerability access port right? And if so, how can we take the proper measures to scan, check and prevet this.Perhaps it happened to that poor fellow.Can Spybot,adaware,kelogger detector,etc.. be 100%
What do you think?

Collapse -
100% sure
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 7:12 PM PST
In reply to: Hey Mark.

Hi Eastwind.

Yes it "is" possible for a virus to change a legitimate program and unfortunately we can never be 100% sure that we are safe from malware.

But we can do our best to make it difficult for hackers, trojans, viruses etc with the existing tools available to us.

Your sygate.exe is an application I haven't heard of before, so I can't advise you what to do. You say it's (Sonic), but what is it and what does it do? A Google search only brings up one reference to PC Close down problems. If you are having the same problems then you could try this article;
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

To help us keep up with the malware, we try different things. I am using Ewido Security Sute at the moment, from http://www.ewido.com It is free and fully functional for the first 14 days, and free and with one or two minor restrictions afterwards.

But I still have my ZoneAlarm, AVG, Spybot S&, SpywareBlaster, M$AS and AdAware working.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sonic is a music generation app
by jackintucson / November 23, 2005 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: 100% sure
Collapse -
I have to say Spybot S&D is one great program...
by martylk2 / November 24, 2005 12:10 PM PST

I downloaded a free video codec for my father's PC which also installed some search tools...a toobar and other stuff including something called a "WhenUSearch" module.

The codec didn't work out too well so I uninstalled and uninstalled most of the adware. WhenUSearch wouldn't uninstall...something about not having the proper authority or some lame stuff like that.

I ran Spybot S&D and it removed everything remaining...all the spybots and such except WhenUSearch. It gave me some info about why it didn't remove successfully and offered me the option to run S S&D at startup to effectively remove the stubborn bot. I chose yes, rebooted. The program ran before the desktop loaded and the machine is not pest free.

I'll be making a handsome donation for this freeware program. Happy

Collapse -
Dadgum typos...that should say "now pest free" rather...
by martylk2 / November 24, 2005 12:13 PM PST

than "not pest free" Happy

Collapse -
Mark, it's "sonique" not sonic
by jonah jones / November 25, 2005 2:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Ahh yes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 25, 2005 7:33 PM PST

sgtray.exe "is" mentioned in that list. Thanks Jonah.

It seems legitimate.

Mark

Collapse -
Ridiculous
by jdorisco / November 22, 2005 5:50 AM PST

It is reckless and irresponsible to immediately blame Zonelabs for this virus infection - if that's indeed what it is. You should do some research and get some facts, before you make such a claim. If I were a suspicious person, I might see a hint of anti-semitism in the post. (P.S. I'm not Jewish)

Collapse -
Works fine on Win XP SP2
by torkill / November 22, 2005 6:20 PM PST
In reply to: Ridiculous

Hi

Just updated ZoneAlarm. And internet is no problem. No virus.

--
Cheers

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No problems here (v 6.1.737.000)
by linkit / November 22, 2005 8:11 AM PST
Collapse -
New Updatelast two weeks
by Maisie663 / November 22, 2005 8:54 AM PST

No problems with Zone Alarm--working nicely

Collapse -
hpjohn11....
by seals1sg / November 22, 2005 9:53 AM PST

I think u shud be more specific as how u got your "UPDATE" Notice. I believe as one of the pioneer user of this software, u shud be able to discern the credibility of that notice. BTW U did not mention the version u hve upgraded.

Also, as a pioneer user u shud not start pointing that finger especially when u hve other softwares and/or online activities that might hve compromised yur computer.

Perhaps, being more objective and specific wud be more helpful for your situation. Hope to hear more from u.

Regards

Collapse -
Upgrading using notices...
by jgrtmp / November 22, 2005 8:57 PM PST
In reply to: hpjohn11....

Never upgrade by going through a notice that doesnt send you to the site that belongs to that products maker.I've upgraded to the new version & it did send you to the true zonelabs site so its not them!
Did you also get a message to upgrade to SP3 for XP?There is no SP3 released for XP until sometime later next year.The current notice for this sends you to a bogus site that acts like its installing XP SP3,but is actually imbedding a Trojan within the OS.Be warned!!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Installed 6.0.667.000 & NO problems!!!!
by 09Bentley / November 23, 2005 2:47 AM PST
Collapse -
I believe there is a later version
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 4:16 AM PST

than 667, but I haven't been offered it yet.

I've had 667 for a few months now.

Mark

Collapse -
"Zone Alarm" Update bought by Check Pt. an Israeli Comp.
by val632 / November 23, 2005 4:29 AM PST

Each of us have made this terrible mistake in one way or another. I & many others have downloaded sites & later found out that was a major mistake. The only way I have found to correct this type of situation is to do a "full recovery". If your computor needs to be "backed up" do this first then do the recovery. I had done this with the help of HP. I also received the CD's for future use in case I need to do another recovery. If you have not done this it may be an answer to your problem. This process will bring your computor back to "factory setting". You can then reset your computor, do a scan with either Norton or McAfee Security System. Bringing your computor to factory setting will delete everything you had on it even "Zone Alarm". I hope this helps if you haven't done this as of yet. val632

Collapse -
Sounds like you already had a virus to me!
by snharden / November 23, 2005 5:14 AM PST

Look everybody. CheckPoint has owned ZA for quite some time now. I can't imagine why they'd suddenly throw in a virus in their programs. I just updated without incident and so have most people I know.

Some of you morons need to get your facts straight before you download something and then run back here to report it to the world as a virus or whatever when it was probably already on your computer.

My son also just did the ZA update and his PC is humming along nicely. I've had ZA since they first started and have never had any problems with their update.

When you get update notices wait a few days before you update and you'll be better off for it. Let someone else catch the bugs if there are any. Then update after things are patched. Same goes for Microsoft updates and any other update.

Don't just fly off the handle and broadcast to the world about some virus you may or may not have. The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me...

Collapse -
Oop's
by snharden / November 23, 2005 5:20 AM PST

My last message was a reply to the clown that started this whole discussion and wasted alot of peoples time on a bogus claim that even he wasn't sure of.

I noticed he never responded, maybe his virus took him down for awhile, oh well........

Collapse -
ZA
by rickelmang / November 23, 2005 12:57 PM PST

I used the free ZA for quite a while and never had any problems. I have since gone to the paid sute and have not had any problems ever. Am I just plain lucky?

Collapse -
IMPORTANT!
by hpjohn11 / November 24, 2005 10:44 AM PST

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO REPLY BUT THIS WON'T LET ME!I AM HAVING A LOT OF TROUBLE! BELLSOUTH ADMITS THAT THIS HAS MIXED IN WITH THEIR SOFTWARE! I have tried everything including Bellsouth's Security Suite . Nothing works. Idelete and get Zone Labs and Zone Alarm back in my Registry! I have used Norton AntiVirus 2005, SpySweeper, Ad-Aware, Spybot and almost everything I can find on the Internet! I am now using Bellsouth?s Security Suite. The Main Message has disappeared, but I am still having trouble! Usually I have to reinstall
Bellsouth?s software and Reboot. This gives me limited Internet! I can stay on about Two minutes or less. Tomorrow, I am going to purchase Norton System Works 2006 32bit. I will try to update the software and scan my computer. Microsoft said that Zone Alarm is the one that is giving teouble

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.