Question

implementing a file transporter

Hi,

Hope someone can help. Not sure if anyone here has heard of file transporters?

Below is a series of google images of file transporters

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=file+transporter&biw=1139&bih=572&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=jiL2VMb1EaqP7AaJ9oHoCg&sqi=2&ved=0CAkQ_AUoBA&dpr=1

We have 2 sites and want to do away with our windows server due to support costs, the option was to have a file transporter at each site, but I am wondering whats the best way to impliment file transporter safely? considering loss of data or security issues.

Our data usage is very light where we only use 80 gig at one site.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: implementing a file transporter
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: implementing a file transporter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Actually sounds like a file sync story.

NAS are often put in place of servers but given I can run a Linux Server for pretty cheap I can't see the advantage.

I do see that a NAS is not going to give as much security as your usual server so there's that. Don't you have an IT staffer to work this all out?
Bob

- Collapse -
File Sync

Your right,

This is more of a file sync, but because there is lack of remote access in sharing data, we thought it best to have a file transporter at each site. With regards to linux, we would need someone with expertise for such a thing and the file transporter can be run for most homes and small businesses.

With regards to IT support, we are having to scale back due to cost, although we do have some limited IT support. They cannot be there all the time. So wondering whats the best way to implement such a solution with minimal damage.

Thanks

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: transport files

We have nothing to add anymore seeing the responses to your exact same question at bleepingcomputer and computerforum. That's why I'm locking this thread.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info