The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

impact of keynote and leopard

by matevam / June 11, 2007 1:21 PM PDT

Most people reaction is that the keynote is nothing spectacular. Well i guess it because everyone is so used to being totally taken by surprised by JS and when nothing earth shattering was announced, they get disappointed.

But was i watch the video cast now, i realise people might have under estimated the impact of the new version. Example:

1. Games. For a long time i think many avoid mac because not many games play on it. With EA and ID i think apple is slowly trying to push apple more into mainstream.
2. Cover flow and Quicklook. As a OS, and the default explorer/finder application, i think the cover flow and quicklook will really make leopard very much more efficient to us. Example i just want to read a document, look at some photos, i no more have to buy/install or even open the application that takes sometime. It is likely to be a major difference between vista and leopard.
3. 64bit. JS mentioned that all machines sold are 64bit enabled and one copy of leopard supporting 64bit. looking at the example he gave, one can imagine the performance gain for games, video editing and photos editing. Thus given any application, running on vista machines (most of it and the version are all on 32bit) the performance for these future programs will be very much enhanced. Imagine 64bit adobe CS3 running on the same specs for mac and windows.
4. Core animation. If you saw the video cast and the demo on how he searched the videos ... that is really cool!

While most of the features touched on are not like earth shattering ... i do think that leopard will make a better much better OS and the test is really on what the developers can do to take advantage of it as well.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: impact of keynote and leopard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: impact of keynote and leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My reaction
by Alegoo92 / June 11, 2007 1:48 PM PDT

Im not posting a list, but I am taken back by leopard. I am anxiously awaiting being able to purchase the business edition (for 129, right?)

Alex

Collapse -
good business moves / I like Web Clip
by thriftyT / June 11, 2007 2:29 PM PDT

Apple is making good moves to increase the appeal of Macs to current Windows users.

Often my PC using friends concede that the Mac is a solid OS, but won't ever consider switching 'cos "There aren't any games for Mac, man!". Today's keynote addressed that squarely.

Integrating cover flow is "meh" to me. But it's a solid move to make PC users familiar with iTunes familiar with Leopard. Suddenly the door to the iTunes Trojan Horse is wide open: Millions of PC users who let the horse into the PC are now suddenly expert at navigating OS X's Finder ? increasing the appeal of Mac and the probablity of moving to a Mac.

-----------------------------------------

I don't understand the lukewarm response to web clip. It's not the flashiest feature, but I think it's highly useful and everyone will use it... won't they? Who doesn't check CNN, TMZ, ESPN, etc. Now you can widgetize your fave web pages and peek at them quickly anytime. I personally will be WebClipping the BOL forum! =)

Collapse -
Good substance, less flash.
by udayan71 / June 11, 2007 8:38 PM PDT

Today saw no nifty little gadgets [Mac mini, iPod, iPhone] or hardware changes (those happened last week for the MacBook Pro and MacBook) but the content of the keynote was more impressive than I had expected.

My favourites were;
1. New Finder. Finally.
2. New Desktop. Stacks is clever, I use a makeshift setup with the Office folder in the dock. Whatsup with the Vista background?!
3. Core Animation. OpenGL utilisation is breakthaking. Well done with iCandy, and well done on implementing a UI that can go beyond folders/windows - CoverFlow in Finder falls under this.
4. 64-bit. My Gen 1 MacBook is out in the cold, but I don't use it for 4GB photos. It came to its knees ripping a DVD, encoding a video, and importing photos while I edited a 25MB image in Fireworks. I assume a C2D MacBook would fare much better with the new OS.

Less well regarded;
1. Time Machine. Gigabytes a-plenty.
2. iChat, Mail, iCal, Safari. Pretty but the new gloss covers serious limitations and flaws in these apps.

Collapse -
Apple (or at least its prices) are crazy
by custardo / June 12, 2007 3:41 AM PDT

The best thing Apple could do to increase its popularity in the Netherlands is adjusting the prices, because they are sadly insane.

Although I'm Dutch, I like to use an English OS. However, Apple expects me to pay $400 for that privilege if I buy a macbook with a 120GB HD and $160 if I choose one with only 80GB (same dealer, no special offers). I think a heartfelt "***" is in order here. An English version of Windows is usually the same price as a Dutch one, or even a few euros cheaper.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Despicable.
by udayan71 / June 12, 2007 7:19 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?