Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Immigrant Crackdown Challenged in Pa

by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 11:36 PM PDT

Hispanic activists and the ACLU sued Hazleton on Tuesday over one of the toughest crackdowns on illegal immigrants by a U.S. city.

Hazleton, a city of about 31,000 people 80 miles from Philadelphia, voted last month to fine landlords $1,000 for renting to illegal immigrants, deny business permits to companies that give them jobs, and make English the city's official language.

The lawsuit contends that the Constitution gives the federal government exclusive power to regulate immigration and that the city's ordinance is discriminatory and unworkable.

"It makes every person who looks or sounds foreign a suspect, including those who are here legally," Witold Walczak, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania, said in a statement. "You might as well just paint a target on every foreigner's forehead or a sign saying, 'Please treat me differently.'"

Sad

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/8/15/203619.shtml?s=ic

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Immigrant Crackdown Challenged in Pa
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Immigrant Crackdown Challenged in Pa
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Legals have
by TONI H / August 16, 2006 12:23 AM PDT

the documentation to prove they are...bring it on or go home. OUr Constitution also has provisions that allow us to deny.

I figured it was just a matter of 'short' time before this happened.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) the aclu should rot
by Mark5019 / August 16, 2006 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Legals have
Collapse -
It seems that
by marinetbryant / August 16, 2006 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Legals have

if the Feds can't or won't protect the states, then each state has the right to do so by default. Again, the fourth branch of government rears it's ugly head, the ACLU, creating it's idea of society through litigation intimdation. Do believe the mayor told them to bring it on, you don't scare us.

Tom

Collapse -
I thought the media was the 4th branch
by dirtyrich / August 16, 2006 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: It seems that

and the ACLU was the 5th? I forget what my university professors taught me about government... all I can remember was that the Judicial was the most important and powerful, then the Legislative, and the Executive was just there to follow orders...

Collapse -
ACLU and the media are close enough allies
by Steven Haninger / August 16, 2006 3:40 AM PDT

that they won't fight over positions 4 and 5 but will be happy to share.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) They should "crack down" on the ACLU!
by caktus / August 17, 2006 4:14 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.