Speakeasy forum

General discussion

IMHO

by gearup / July 22, 2004 2:13 AM PDT

When I first came to this forum I thought "o how nice a place where people can discuss things". Then I realized that it is a place where people can scream and yell without any data. Then I realized it is like a farmyard with three corrals for donkeys. All of whom bray as loud as they can hoping to outshout the donkeys in another corral. The ones on my left (facing west),for lack of a btter word are the "DK's". Those in the middle who are the quietest and by far the most rational of the bunch can be called the "MK's" and the ones to my right are more or less the "DE,Eo,and KP'S". They are the ones with the loudest and and least pleasing brays.

I often wish that the "Mk's" would speak up more often and that the DK's and the DE's would step back and look at themselves more often....for it is apparent, or should be, to any observer they they are all gods creatures and are better known by the biblical nomenclature of "asses".

A rather interesting animal whose best purpose is to bear burdens to the dictates of mankind.

Oops there they go again claiming that some guy named Bush just wet his pants because another guy named Clinton didnt inhale some substance or another...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IMHO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IMHO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IMHO
by Glenda / July 22, 2004 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: IMHO

So why do you stay here? I am sure there are many forums that would suit you better, JMHO
Glenda

Collapse -
Re: IMHO
by Edward ODaniel / July 22, 2004 2:55 AM PDT

Not bad except that the MK is not in that Middle Corral but well ensconced in the one on the Left facing west. (If you look North, South or East you will see MK but never by looking West from your own vantage point in that Left corral.)

Those in the Middle Corral are better typified by AB, C, and DM.

If the "brays" from the West are "least pleasing" it is likely because the truth is bothersome to you.

Collapse -
Shifting The Bar...
by Blake Cook / July 22, 2004 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: IMHO
Those in the Middle Corral are better typified by AB, C, and DM. - Edward O'Daniel

DM claims to be "Independent" yet his posts say otherwise. I don't remember C ever claiming to be in the middle and for the most part, it seems that he lines up solidly to the right. AB? She seems to support the members on the right far more than those on the left, so it doesn't seem that she is in the middle much either...

Unless you are attempting to shift the bar far to the right, you're going to have to supply some different names if you are truly looking for moderates...

Collapse -
The problem with the Middle Corral
by Cindi Haynes / July 22, 2004 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Shifting The Bar...

Is that the equines residing there seem to be denigrated by both sides. Perhaps (sadly) that's why they so rarely care to bray.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Maybe it's...
by James Denison / July 22, 2004 5:18 AM PDT

...the smell blowing in from the left corral has them all choked up.

Collapse -
Re: Maybe it's...
by Angeline Booher / July 22, 2004 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe it's...
Collapse -
Sure, OK, as long as we're doing this thread.
by James Denison / July 22, 2004 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Maybe it's...
Happy
Collapse -
IMHO, the problem with the Middle Corral, Cindy,...
by Paul C / July 22, 2004 11:01 AM PDT

...is that in terms of politics, the "moderates", "centrists" or whatever you choose to call them are choosing to seek perfect consensus; and as Margaret Thatcher so aptly put it, "Consensus is the antithesis of leadership".

Whether for good or ill, those who have made a lasting impact on any field of human history have done so by having a strong position, passionately held and defended. To loosely paraphrase Rush Limbaugh, you will not find a book in your library entitled Great Moderates in World History. The role of "moderates", IMO, is to prevent the visionaries and leaders from getting out too far ahead of basic tenets of ethics and morality; but eventually, they too have to choose some vision of the future - and that vision will come from someone in either of those other corrals.

"Either lead, follow or get the heck out of the way."

Paul

Collapse -
That is your perception but...
by Edward ODaniel / July 22, 2004 5:19 AM PDT

your perception is heavily flawed by the blinders you wear. (Possibly because from your perennial location you must look West, Northwest or Southwest to see anyone else.)

If you actually bothered reading the posts of the ones indicated as moderate you couldn't fail to see that although they wander around that middle corral they pretty much remain in it unless forced to lash out at someone nipping at them.

Maybe if you quit braying at them you wouldn't feel so singled out. On the other hand since they are moderates they are still so far right of your positions they might seem further right than they actually are. Try holding those binos with the objective lens closer to the object viewed rather than to your eye and they won't seem so far away.

Collapse -
Looking In Any Other Directions...
by Blake Cook / July 22, 2004 5:31 AM PDT
That is your perception but your perception is heavily flawed by the blinders you wear. (Possibly because from your perennial location you must look West, Northwest or Southwest to see anyone else.) - Edward O'Daniel

Since your views are solidly set toward the East, it's not surprising that you believe that views from others who look in differing directions might be moderate or to the left. Since your blinders prevent you from seeing anything other than the radical right, those who look in any other direction surely must bother you...

Collapse -
Still having problems with those binos aren't you.
by Edward ODaniel / July 24, 2004 6:54 AM PDT

YOU assume that anyone who chastises you or asks you to STOP just has to be supportive of Conservativism.

That does aptly define how little attention you pay to fact and how much to perception based only on your personal bias.

No wonder your perception of reality is flawed. You think that since you are proud of wearing those blinders everyone else must be wearing them too--you are wrong (but that is par for the course).

Collapse -
Re: Shifting The Bar...
by C1ay / July 22, 2004 8:45 AM PDT
I don't remember C ever claiming to be in the middle and for the most part, it seems that he lines up solidly to the right.

Are you referring to this 'C'?

Collapse -
Variety is the spice of life.
by xerpor / July 22, 2004 5:19 AM PDT

However, I did enjoy reading your rant. Wink

Collapse -
I'm crushed!
by Evie / July 22, 2004 5:54 AM PDT

An opinion post espousing your personal views of the membership and I'm not even mentioned Wink

LOL

Dunno where you are coming from, but if MK is your center you must be in Kucinich land!

I think most people here would be astonished at how many of our politics and religions (with the caveat that I'm not talking about how one lives one's life according to their religion) factor into our daily lives/interactions.

Used to be people could converse about day to day stuff, like a spouse's injury, preferences in cars, appliance purchases, etc. without being attacked.

Collapse -
Re: I'm crushed!
by Mary Kay / July 22, 2004 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm crushed!

I could hardly expect you to be aware of this fact but I am not in Kucinich territory. And I am a registered independent. I take voting very seriously. But if you must continue with the barbs, at least know what you are talking about.

Collapse -
Re: I'm crushed!
by Evie / July 22, 2004 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: I'm crushed!

I didn't say you were in the Kucinich camp. I said that if you appear to be in the center from gearup's perspective, then gearup must be far to the left.

Who said anything about how seriously anyone takes voting? Independants don't hold some sort of monopoly on serious voting. I may be a registered Republican, but I still vote for person not party and educate myself on the issues and candidates, as do others I know -- Republicans and Democrats alike. I could become a registered Independant tomorrow wouldn't change the fact that my beliefs fall right of center on any objective scale.

Granted you don't express political beliefs as often as some, but when you do they tend to be from the left of center.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) GLMCIC?
by Paul C / July 22, 2004 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm crushed!
Collapse -
Re: (NT) GLMCIC?
by C1ay / July 22, 2004 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) GLMCIC?

Be careful now, that doesn't look very much like English. The mods aren't even waiting for someone to hit the 'Offensive Post' button.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So! Wup dee doo dah....
by C1ay / July 22, 2004 8:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Is that English?
by James Denison / July 22, 2004 11:38 AM PDT

or just plain ol' American?! WinkDevil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, suthern style...
by C1ay / July 22, 2004 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Is that English?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.