General discussion

Image resolution on IE 6

Recently, after installing and testing the accelerated dialup connector of ISP AllVantage.com, all images became very blurred and sloppy as I tried the 5x acceleration.

This made me decide to go back to my other dialup ISP of 650Dialup.com. But, although I uninstalled AllVantage and removed its connection (from Internet Options), and set 650 again as my default connection, I'm still getting the same rotten resolution on almost every image.

How can I fix this? I've tried going to the Add/Remove window and using it to do an IE6 repair, but still no success.

Is there any way I can reinstall IE6 and/or return it to default settings? I have Win2K on a CD.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Image resolution on IE 6
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Image resolution on IE 6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Thats how accelerators work

Among other things, they recompress the images, and\or, change the file type. This is what gives the apparent
acceleration when surfing. It is normal to get blurry images, and can usually be adjusted in the Accelerator program, as to how much acceleration you want.
If you uninstalled it, and changed ISPs, then maybe your compressed images are still in your browser cache. Try clearing that.

- Collapse -
Image resolution on IE 6

As you mentioned the compression tweak that the accelerator did, I just went to Internet Options and unchecked "enable software compression." If that doesn't restore my image resolution, how do I clear the cache?
--David

- Collapse -
Re: Image resolution on IE 6

David, To clear the cache open Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/General tab, click the "Delete Files" button and when the pop-up window appears checkmark "delete all offline content" then click OK.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
Image resolution on IE 6

The only way I could think of "clearing the cache" was to clear history and delete all temp files. But this didn't work. So I tried configuring all of my desktop's (with Win2K-Pro)Internet Options/Advanced exactly the same way that my laptop's (with WinXP-Pro)options were set. And by checking the "show pictures" option, the browser's images all came back clear and complete.

Another problem that this configuration fixed was my wallpaper, which the accelerator had caused to disappear and be replaced with only a blank background.

So, by re-enabling the "show pictures" option, web images are clean and clear and wallpaper has returned.

Thank You
--David

CNET Forums

Forum Info