Computer Help forum

General discussion

Image files vanished!

by ymrxyz / February 1, 2009 12:05 AM PST

Yesterday my wife's daughter (not the most computer savey person) was downloading photos from her cameras memory card to Sierra Imaging/Image Expert (an imaging program I have used for 10 years with no problems). Now, for some odd reason, all folders and image files have vanished. The root folder: "C:\Image Expert Images" is still there, all sub folders (which contained 1000+ photos are gone. I checked "properties" for the folder "C:\Image Expert Images" and it says it was created yesterday! It's as if the program was just loaded and no sub folders were ever created. I have searched my computer for some of the Folder and File names and they are not there. I can not imagine what she might have done to cause this. Can anyone tell me where these folders/files went and how to get them back. They were not backed-up. System restore did not work. My system is WinXP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Image files vanished!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Image files vanished!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's cover what System Restore does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Image files vanished!

XP's system restore restores the operating system to a prior state.

Sadly this can result in overwriting recently deleted files.

Why this matters is to get the best chance of file recovery you remove the drive the moment you find you need to recover files or "data."

I pull the drive into some external USB connection and use titles like:
RECUVA
GETDATABACK
EASYRECOVERY
ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY

We NEVER install these on the hard disk we need to get files back from.
Bob

Collapse -
files vanished
by ymrxyz / February 1, 2009 12:19 AM PST

Bob, Thanks for your response. Not sure I follow you. When I tried to do "System Restore" I got a message that said "cannot restore, no data has changed", or something like that. So, a system restore was not done. I do not follow your other suggestions.

Collapse -
That system restore failure was a good thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: files vanished

It could have overwritten more files.

My suggestion is pretty easy to follow. I'll rewrite it again.

1. Shut down the PC with the missing files.
2. Remove the hard disk from that PC.
3. Put the hard disk into some USB case.
4. On another PC use those software titles to see if you can find or get the deleted files back.

Some don't understand why we don't install software or keep using that hard disk. Those that don't understand will lose more files if not all of them.

Still too much? Don't want to do this yourself? Call up http://www.drivesavers.com and ask them what to do next.
Bob

Collapse -
vanished files
by ymrxyz / February 1, 2009 12:37 AM PST

I have downloaded and tried a couple of recovery programs (trial versions). They were installed on the hard drive in question. They found some of the missing files but seemed to find more of what I did not want to recover. I have deleted these programs. Is there still hope? Can I install the recovery program on the external drive and have it look at the C drive on my computer. Or, must I remove the drive. Thanks for your help, getting ready to leave the house now. Hope you can muster one more reply. Any recommendation which is the better recovery program, or are all 4 about the same?

Collapse -
I fear that its gone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: vanished files

Call up Drive Savers and if you ever want your photos back you will STOP using that drive. I'm sorry but if this seems harsh but every minute you use that drive the more likely the files are going to be over written.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.