Cameras forum

General discussion

What is the difference between the image in 3M mode and the same image shot in 10M. Will there be any difference in the clarity?
Can i convert the images to the HD quality ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Image
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Image
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Image size

In reply to: Image

A 3 megapixel photo and a 10 megapixel photo will look the same on your computer monitor.

They will look the same if you printed them at a size of 6 x 4 inches.

But, if you printed them at a larger size the 3 megapixel photo will look blocky, the 10 megapixel photo will look good.

More megapixels is good for printing large pictures.
More megapixels is not needed to display on a computer screen.

HD (high definition) is not anything special.
It is a video that has an image size of 1920 x 1080 pixels.

A HD video made from 3 or 10 megapixel photos will look the same (great).

I have made several HD slide show DVDs using a Blu-Ray burner and Blu-Ray media.
You only need a photo that is 1920 x 1080 or larger.
Of course you must play the DVD on a Blue-Ray DVD player and a HD television set to see them in true HD.

You can also make a slide show in wide-screen and produce a normal DVD.
When viewed on a HD television through one of the newer normal DVD players that "up-convert", will produce a picture that will be difficult to tell from a Blu-Ray DVD.

If you have a HD television set, I recommend that you get either a Blu-Ray DVD player or a normal DVD player that can "up-convert"

The up-converting DVD player produces a much better picture that the older normal DVD players.

Collapse -
Convert

In reply to: Image size

I m currently using the Nikon Coolpix L100. Will i be able to upconvert the images to the HD quality? Will the image clarity look better than the one before?
If yes please provide me the appropriate the software tool to upconvert the image!!!!
Thank you!!!

Collapse -
Convert

In reply to: Convert

If you want to up-convert video to HD, you would have to convert the video 640x480 images to 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

The clarity would not look better than the original.
It would look worse.

The software would have to use interpolation to increase the size of the images. Interpolation means the software is having to guess at what pixels to add by using formulas. This always results in poor quality.

You may get a better image from your present L100 video, if you used a newer set-top DVD player.
One that has up-conversion capability and connects to a HD television set with a HDMI cable.
You would have to create a DVD using your L100 video.

If you want to pursue this further I suggest you check out these links from a Google search for
upconvert standard video to HD

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=upconvert+standard+video+to+HD&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Collapse -
Change?

In reply to: Convert

SO there will not be any changes even when i convert them!!

Collapse -
Change - Yes

In reply to: Change?

If you find a program that will convert standard video into HD video, it WILL change what you see.

The new video images will be larger in physical size and file size; but will look worse than the original.

An old old expression.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
(sow is a female pig)

Collapse -
Hey snapshot2

In reply to: Change - Yes

Deepz is actually asking about "upconverting" a 10MP photo to HD. They aren't grasping that a >1MP is more resolution than HD resolution.

Collapse -
Yep, you are right

In reply to: Hey snapshot2

HD is misunderstood by many and I have failed to get my point across.

HD is not a standard of excellence, just a matter of image size.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Yep, you are right

Thank you guys very much!!

Collapse -
Actually, HD is about 2 megapixels.

In reply to: Hey snapshot2

1920 x 1080 pixels.

Collapse -
Depends on the HD

In reply to: Actually, HD is about 2 megapixels.

You're showing 1080P/i resolution, which is 2MP, but 1080 is not the most used HD resolution. 720P is the most used resolution for media, which is less than a megapixel. So, you're right and wrong, but the a 1MP image is HD.

Collapse -
720 is not full HD.

In reply to: Depends on the HD

Full HD, by definition, is 1920 x 1080. That's what the HD standard says. It is no wonder that folks are so confused about what HD really is. Bad information is introduced in marketing and passed around by folks who are not completely informed.

Perhaps you know which is used the "most". I certainly do not, and I find that a rather strange way of defining your terms especially when HD is defined by international standards organizations.

One thing is certainly true. The statement that "anything over 1 megapixel" is not HD is wrong.

Collapse -
Ugh

In reply to: 720 is not full HD.

Marketing is what has gotten you in trouble. There is no "Full HD" that is ratified or standardized by any organization. It was started by Sony to separate their products from others. They allowed the "Full HD" moniker to be used by others to help push their products, such as their 1080 camcorders and blu-ray. Here's some reading for you.

How Sony marketed 1080, wasn't even 1080p for all their products.
http://www.jakeludington.com/life/2007/what-is-full-hd-1080/

By the way, I'll give you the way to figure up megapixels by using math. Horizontal resolution x vertical resolution and this gives you how many millions of pixels there are. A megapixel is one million pixels. So if we take 720p linear resolution(which is HD) and use the equation, we find that 1280x720= 921,600, which would equal.9MP. So .9MP is less than 1MP. This means that your statement:

"One thing is certainly true. The statement that "anything over 1 megapixel" is not HD is wrong."

Your statement is completely wrong and mine is correct. If you're going to refute my claims then have links to back it up. I don't like having to go back and look up links again to show someone, who is ignorant on the subject, that they're wrong.

Collapse -
To add

In reply to: Ugh

"One thing is certainly true. The statement that "anything over 1 megapixel" is not HD is wrong."

I reread your statement and you actually wrote it down wrong. I said that anything over 1MP IS HD. You state me as saying anything over 1MP is NOT HD. But I knew what you were trying to say.

Collapse -
I wasn't going to reply again, but it seems that you

In reply to: To add

are incapable of admitting a simple error.

So you said that anything over 1 MP is HD? I guess that means that 12 megapixels is HD then. Other than some very specialized high end cameras, there are no video cameras that produce anything higher than 1920 x 1080 which, if you want to be exact, is 2,073,600 pixels.

As far as quoting you, here is what you wrote. "They aren't grasping that a >1MP is more resolution than HD resolution." Now, I don't know how you interpret your statement, but it certainly looks to me like you said that anything above 1 megapixel exceeds HD resolution. Since I just calculated HD resolution for you as 2,073,600 pixels, you should now be able to see that your answer is wrong.

As far as standards are concerned, here are some excerpts from Wickipedia;

"An aspect ratio of 16:9 was duly agreed at the first meeting of the WP at the BBC's R & D establishment in Kingswood Warren. The resulting ITU-R Recommendation ITU-R BT.709-2 ("Rec. 709") includes the 16:9 aspect ratio, a specified colorimetry, and the scan modes 1080i (1,080 actively-interlaced lines of resolution) and 1080p (1,080 progressively-scanned lines). The current Freeview HD trials use MBAFF, which contains both progressive and interlaced content in the same encoding.

It also includes the alternative 1440

Collapse -
again?

In reply to: To add

Wikipedia is not always factual, it's kept together by regular people. Here's another article for you.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/What-is-Full-HD-1080.htm

It states:"Sony offers no explanation as to what qualifies as "full HD" and seems to be using their shiny gold logo as nothing more than a marketing gimmick. It seems harmless, but less-savvy consumers could be duped by a "Full HD" moniker. Still, it's the kind of cheap marketing that makes the tech savvy generation see just how out of touch Sony is with their consumers." You've been duped by Sony. Do some research for yourself if you doubt it. You'll find the same information.

And 1MP is great in resolution than one form of HD(720P) which means my statement was correct. Is it higher than 1080p?...no. So, in that regard I'm both right and wrong, but you're completely wrong in the knowledge on many things.

Also, you should read the OPs comments before typing and you'll see that they wanted to change their camera's(not video camera....this is a digital camera forum, not video camera forum) photos to HD.

Show me a link to the origination of Full HD as a standard. Actually I'd be impressed if you can prove that Full HD wasn't just a marketing ploy to dupe consumers like you into thinking it's a standard. Try to do more research than typing, Wikipedia and the subject....do the effort like I did.

This is so unbecoming of me having to do this, but I'm rarely ever called out like this, especially without facts by the other person.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.