Mac Desktops forum

Resolved Question

iMac won't boot

by bobbychuck8 / July 9, 2012 11:26 AM PDT

My iMac will not get past the apple on a grey screen.
I have the Imac operating disk in the optical drive but can't get to it.

17" flat panel iMac, 2003. Can't get to info.

bobbychuck8 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMac won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMac won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by bobbychuck8

Collapse -
Is this an iMac G5?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: iMac won't boot

Hold down the left mouse button and restart the machine.
The disc should eject.

If this is an iMac G5, you may have something nasty going on inside it.

P

Collapse -
(NT) It is an imac g4 17" flat panel
by bobbychuck8 / July 10, 2012 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this an iMac G5?
Collapse -
This is an imac G4 17" flat panel
by bobbychuck8 / July 10, 2012 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this an iMac G5?

The left mouse trick didn't work. I'm sure the left mouse setting is not activated.

Collapse -
The left mouse settings are always activated.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 6:58 AM PDT

If you only have a one button mouse, just hold it down at start up and keep it down.
The mouse has to be a wired mouse, not wireless or bluetooth for that eject to work.

Alternatively, with the machine off, open the flap that covers the CD tray, and see if you can see the tiny hole in the tray front. If you can, put a straightened paperclip in the hole and push firmly. The tray should open.

So what you have there is a G4 iMac that has the "floating Screen" (the one on the chrome pole)
A machine which is almost certainly on Apples endangered list, if not its extinct list.
What where the symptoms that led up to the machine not starting?

P

Collapse -
(NT) It is long since dead to Apple
by Jimmy Greystone / July 11, 2012 12:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Since the mouse button
by Jimmy Greystone / July 11, 2012 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: iMac won't boot

Since the mouse button didn't work, hold down the option key at boot. After a few seconds you should see a mouse cursor, maybe a button or two, around the middle of the screen, and then an icon for your HDD should show up. Give it a little bit longer and you should see an icon for the install CD show up. You can click on the CD icon, and then hit the eject button: The one on screen or on the keyboard, either should work.

If all else fails, the paperclip trick already mentioned should work, but if even that fails, then you're going to have to take the unit somewhere to be disassembled to extract that disc. It will have to be an AASP, an Apple Store will just tell you it's too old. This is also one of Apple's least DIY friendly units because of the narrow stem for the display. That can be bent or broken very easily, plus it means the weight distribution of the unit is very lopsided when you try and lay it down, so you can't just have it hang off the edge of a table or something. Apple sold a special positioning block for these units, and unfortunately you probably won't find any places that have those around anymore since the iMac G4's are a nearly extinct species.

Collapse -
Got the endangered computer to launch ... but
by bobbychuck8 / July 11, 2012 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Since the mouse button

Thank you to all that helped. Installed the system but can't get by the users login page. My login will not work. I know what it is but it won't take it. Is there a workaround? Sorry to be a bother but I'm making progress.

Collapse -
After you installed the system,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 7:55 AM PDT

you must have created an account and given it a password.
That said, the auto-logon feature is enabled by default.

What did you do after you installed the system?

P

Collapse -
Boot from the installation DVD
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 7:56 AM PDT

again and choose Utilities from the Menubar when it appears.

It should appear after you have clicked next/continue a couple of times.

Reset the password from there

P

Collapse -
reset the password, entered it on the login screen, ...
by bobbychuck8 / July 12, 2012 3:30 AM PDT

After entering the new password I am dumped into "Darwin/BSD (Chucky.local. ) (console)" and asked again for login and password.

None seem to work?????

Collapse -
Maybe you didn't reload the OS after all
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 12, 2012 12:07 PM PDT

Run the installation disk again and choose the Format and Install option.

Everything will be wiped out and a new copy of the OS will be installed.

EVERYTHING will be wiped out.......back up what you don't want to lose

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.