Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

iMac will not boot

by jh12838 / February 16, 2011 6:25 AM PST

I have a brand new iMac 24" screen, a week old. The computer will not start up. It worked for two days, then shut itself down. I pushed the start button, would not boot. I unplugged, let it sit overnight, I pushed start button, it started up. I left it on for a few hours, then tried to restart, it would not boot again. The next day, it started up, i left it alone all day to return to find a blank screen and it will not respond to mouse or keyboard. I have unplugged again, then relighted, will not boot! Is there a fix to this or should I just return it??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iMac will not boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iMac will not boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If the store you purchased it from is close,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 16, 2011 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: iMac will not boot

take it back.

They may tell you that Apple has responsibility, the warranty, but you may be able to talk them into taking it back.
If not,

Get on the phone to Apple and explain the problem to them.

Do it quickly as Apple does not like DOA and the longer you wait, the less likely you are to get a replacement rather than yours repaired

P

Collapse -
I would agree
by Jimmy Greystone / February 16, 2011 9:48 AM PST

I would agree, take it back, though Apple hasn't made a 24" model for over a year now, so you must have bought this as a refurb somewhere or mistakenly put 24" when you meant 27". If it was from Apple, they will give it a one year warranty, if it was from a retail store then there's usually a return period of like 30 days, and I'd suggest you exercise it.

Offhand, it sounds like either a power supply or logic board issue, but kind of hard to tell without being able to look at the thing. In either case, you'll need someone else to fix it for you.

Collapse -
Thing you might try before bringing it back.
by marclar83 / March 25, 2011 8:10 AM PDT

Hi, I'm not sure what you have done with your iMac so far, but I had similar issue with the very first I got and here's few thing they will try to do before trying to repair it.

1) Reset both PRAM and SMC

Reset PRAM:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Reset SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543

2) Verify your Hard Drive

2.1)Place your Mac OS X DVD in your DVD drive.

2.2) Power on iMac and immediately press and hold the c-key until the language screen appears.

2.3) From Mac OS X install Disc, Open Disk Utility

2.4) Select your Macintosh HD Partition (or your Mac OS X partition) and in the section "First Aid" Try to "Verify/Repair Disk" and "Verify/Repair Disk Permissions".

3) If it fail, try to boot in Safe mode and repair your permission from there (same way as 2.3 and 2.4)

Safe Mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

4) Bring it back to Apple for Support.

If this ds not work try starting up in Safe mode, then run once in Safe mode you can run Repair Permissions and Verify/Repair Disk form Disk Utilities.

Safe Mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

Collapse -
While the intent is noble
by Jimmy Greystone / March 25, 2011 11:25 AM PDT

While the intent is noble there's a few things to note here.

First, the question was asked over a month ago, and the person doesn't appear to have been back. Odds are, they aren't coming back.

Second, I know the chestnuts of resetting the PRAM and SMC are old favorites, but they have nothing to do with this problem. And by leaving the system unplugged overnight, they effectively reset the SMC anyway.

Third, if you're going to run disk utility from the install DVD, you may as well just run a repair operation rather than verify. Repair includes everything in the verify operation, PLUS it attempts to fix things. However, it seems very dubious that this is in any way related to the problem.

Your intent is well taken, and encouraged, but you need to be a bit more than a one trick pony. Any first line tech support agent is going to suggest pretty much all of those things. Generally speaking, our "job", for those of us who choose to take it upon ourselves, is to be able to go beyond that. What's the point in coming here if they can get the same advice faster by calling Apple's support line? The inclination to help is good, keep that, but maybe hang back a bit until you have developed your skill level beyond just posting some Apple KB articles on Troubleshooting 101.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?